NASA’s Four MMS Spacecraft To Provide Insight Into Magnetic Reconnection Phenomenon

With a mission to study and have a greater understanding of a phenomenon called ‘magnetic reconnection’, United Launch Alliance rocket- Atlas V 421 was successfully launched at 10:44 p.m. EDT on Thursday from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. NASA’s four Magnetospheric Multiscale or MMS spacecraft were placed one on top of the other on the rocket and were later positioned in the Earth’s orbit in less than two hours after the launch. These identical observatories will be deployed into a pyramid formation for providing the very first 3D view of reconnection that occurs in the Earth’s magnetic space environment (magnetosphere).

NASA_Four_MMS_Spacecraft_Study_ Magnetic_Reconnection

Magnetic reconnection is believed to be acting as a catalyst for the powerful explosions that are happening in the solar system. It takes place at the time when the magnetic fields link together, disconnect, and reconfigure explosively. During this fundamental process, billions of megatons of trinitrotoluene (TNT) of energy is released. These explosions are capable of sending the nearby space particles at about the speed of light. The study of the phenomenon will also provide deep understanding of these events that can damage present-day technological systems such as GPS navigation, communications networks, and electrical power grids. It will also help to acquire knowledge about the processes in the sun and other stars atmosphere, surroundings of black holes and neutron stars, and also at the borderline that is between the heliosphere of the solar system and interstellar space.

Four_Magnetospheric_Multiscale_Pyramid_Formation

The spacecraft will fly in a fixed formation while advancing through the areas of reconnection activity. The MMS consists of sensors for measuring the space environment and instruments that are sensitive enough to notice a difference equivalent to a 4 volt change in space. It is the fourth assignment in the NASA Solar Terrestrial Probes (STP) Program.

Credit: NASA Goddard​

Source: Spacecraft in Earth’s Orbit, Preparing to Study Magnetic Reconnection | NASA via #-Link-Snipped-#
Image Credit: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone I had complete my B.tech(information technology) in 2012 ,Due to need n in proper suggestion i had joined in karvy computer shares ltd and worked for 8 months...
hai,i have started working on my project on cancer detection.i have calculated kurtosis,skewness of the cancer region.can any one pls help me in code for comparing the region.
Video-sharing giant YouTube has brought virtual reality now to actual reality. Although not as quite as effective, but YouTube has brought what it had promised back in January. YouTube has...
Among the many products in the portfolio of Intex Technologies' televisions now stands a new 32-inch LED TV with HD resolution (1366 X 768 pixel). The 80 cm television comes...
Hi all, I recently got my new job where for the first 3 months I have been working as a intern under Software developer.But,due to my low performance because of...