NASA Studies Hurricanes Using GE's daq8580, A Full Motion Video Compression Appliance

NASA's Global Hawk is a long range, long duration aircraft with extraordinary research capabilities and has proven very useful for commercial and scientific ventures. The Hawk Eye is a part of NASA's Hurricane Severe Storm Sentinel (HS3) program and it's been equipped with GE's daq8580 - a rugged full motion video compression appliance to provide visual situational awareness on the mission. It's been proven useful in study of hurricanes and wildfires.

[​IMG]

The Global Hawk can fly at an altitutde of 60k feet and can do 20k kilometers in 30hr missions. NASA's opted for GE daq8580 video compression technology to collect high bandwidth and high resolution video streams using onboard sensors. The compression factors are staggering 100:1, which reduces the overall bandwidth of the video feed so that it's easier and faster to transmit it to the communication links on ground. The compressed video has negligible change in the video quality. NASA's aiming to deploy more daq8580 units in the next few months.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• yanivx
    yanivx
    Wonder how this compression thing works. 😘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    yanivx
    Wonder how this compression thing works. 😘
    That's a good question. Not sure if it can be explained through comments but if you are interested, you might just check out this dedicated page for the daq8580 - #-Link-Snipped-# . It's all the data-sheets and other information which might be useful.
  • yanivx
    yanivx
    This link
    How File Compression Works | HowStuffWorks
    gives the basic idea how compression works i wanted to know how ultra compression is done. Going through data sheet is not easy 😛 will try sometime later.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A couple of years ago, the Lytro camera took all the glory with its refocusing capabilities. Since, then developers and manufacturers have been researching on how to bring this wonderful...
Indian Government isn't ready to take a step back and allow the Canadian phone giant Blackberry to operate in its own way. Indian Government has made it clear that if...
hi ceans ,whenever i boot my laptop i receive an error message saying tfght is compressed .i don't have the installation disk nor do i have the recovery disk ....
I am Register for Asst. Central Intelligent Officer Exam can anybody give some details about that exam.......!
Why The Generator Rating Is In kVA & Of Motor In kW??