NASA scientists fear that 'Curiosity' may contaminate the 'Mars' with microbes.

Rover was sent to the red planet in search of "life" and "the role of water" and for many other beneficiary tasks. But now the scientists are thinking otherwise. They don't want the Rover to find any water or ice on Mars as they fear that the "Drill bit" on the Curiosity might possibly contaminate the waters of Mars with Earth microbes as the last drill was not sterile enough. They are worried that Curiosity will end up contaminating Mars with Life if the drill touches the water as the microbes can survive when it comes in contact with water.
I do not understand a thing, why should we fear creating life in Mars? Isn't that our goal(finding life.) If you don't find them, create them. Is this statement true or false in this context?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    you know what?
    i might be too poor with boilogy/chemistry, but i have a remote feeling that we are under assumption that water is needed for life??? in earth like climate water is needed for life, but may be there are other forms of life which dont really need water for survival? who have evolved into surviving in more water enviornment??who knows there migth be organism which breed on methane?/
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    durga
    I have a remote feeling that we are under assumption that water is needed for life??? in earth like climate water is needed for life, but may be there are other forms of life which dont really need water for survival? who have evolved into surviving in more water enviornment??
    Yes your assumption is possible. But there are some species which don't take in water directly. They are called acidophiles which lives in places where pH is even below 2.0. I suppose it produces it's own water by stabilizing the acid(Hope I'm not wrong). Methane eating organisms exist already. Methylomirabilis oxyfera lives on Methane and they produce their own oxygen and breathes it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    vinod1993
    They don't want the Rover to find any water or ice on Mars as they fear that the "Drill bit" on the Curiosity might possibly contaminate the waters of Mars with Earth microbes as the last drill was not sterile enough.
    @vinod993 Where have they mentioned about this? Can you point us to the source of this news?
    Creating life on another planet is a HUGE experiment. 😲 They must be having solid reasons about having second thoughts about going forward with it.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Source : Scientists fear Curiosity rover drill bits could contaminate Mars - CSMonitor.com
    Did you know: The Rover was launched into the space on Nov.26th 🎉
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Creating life on Mars, if possible is an awesome experiment which may tell us more about how life evolved on our planet, that's what i think.It will be an awesome opportunity to see the evolution happening.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    the only problem we face is setting a base up there and if once achieved we can plan on moving there

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

While surfing web ,almost every one of us stumble upon some link and articles and want to save it for later reference or want to have some dairy kind of...
Name: Ashish Ahuja *Engineering Trade: Computer Science Location: Lucknow *Occupation: (Student|Working|Self-Employed|Unemployed; details please!) I am a student pursuing my Bachelor of technology from Babu Banarasi Das Institute of Technology and...
With iPhone 5 yesterday a new lightning connector was launched. But, if you have some devices with a 30-pin connector already, you will definitely think that this new connector is...
I Completed my graduation this year . I'm very much interested to start my own business. So, i decided to start Outsourcing Company but i don't know how to get...
I am a design mechanical engineer working on the design of different Agricultural machineries, Construction equipments and renewable energy equipments. i am very happy in discussing renewable energy matters.