Nanoscale Films Can Deliver Drugs To Specific Parts Of Body For Months

A lot of people tend to forget taking their pills when they are on long term medication. Those who suffer from chronic pain need to take pills at regular intervals and may suffer side effects. To address this problem, researchers at MIT have developed a new type of drug delivery system that can deliver the chemicals to specific parts of the body and for a sustained periods of time. The findings of their work was published in the Proceedings of The National Academy of Sciences.

2-Implantable-film-MIT

The research team has developed a very thin, nano-scale grade and biodegradable film covered with drug molecules that are released to specific body parts in incremental fashion. The team calls it 'layer by layer' technique. Demonstrating the functioning of their film, researchers used diclofenac drug (often prescribed for osteoarthritis) and bound it to a very thin layer of poly-L-glutamatic acid. The tests showed that the drug was slowly released for over a period of 14 months and the overall effectiveness of the drug was not affected.

The ultimate aim for the research is to make the life easier for the people with Chronic pain and inflammation. Read more about the research on the official #-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Medical science is booming area. Sometimes back we read an article for Robotic Pills To Replace Injections In Near Future and now nano scale films.

Kudos for researches at [HASHTAG]#MIT[/HASHTAG] for every effort to make our life easier.
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    This used to be a science fiction stuff. No idea how long it will take such inventions to be widely available.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

https://www.flipkart.com/mi3/p/itmdxsvrrerjhztf?pid=MOBDXSVH7HHHNK8J
Join Us For The Grand Launch Of CrazyEngineers T-Shirt! Thursday, 7 August, 2014 @ 6:00 PM (IST) ​It's been a really long wait! We're now ready to reveal the CrazyEngineers...
Fiat India Automobiles Limited has unveiled their all new premium hatchback in India with Fiat Punto Evo at a launch event in Delhi, India. Coming in four engine variants with...
hello sir, I am B.Tech(civil) 2nd year student.I want to Prepare for GATE exam from now onwards.sir,please suggest me how to start and what is the preparation strategy for preparing...
I am a first year student from NIT Jaipur (Malviya National INstitute of Technology, Jaipur). I am doing B Tech from ECE branch. - I want to know, what can...