Nano meter tech and leakage current

Well I was wondering Why miniaturised transistors are not yet implemented in the processors

And I found this challenge really striking.

The size of the transistor is determined by the length of the gate channel in a transistor

When the length of the transistor gate is reduced to less than 15 nm the amount of leakage current in between the source and the drain is fairly high and this is capable of producing noise?
Any idea why this is so

Replies

• Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    At less than 16nm newtonian physics fail & quantum effects dominate ..
    The gate simply loses control over electron flow between source & drain .
    The electrons tunnel through s-d gap.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Organized by- Govt. Model Engineering College, Thrikkakara Dates- September 26-28, 2013 Description - 010010000100010101001100010011000100111100100001 If you understood whatever that gibberish meant, you've probably paid attention in digital electronics (either that...
Wine,is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on POSIX-compliant operating systems. After one year since the release of Wine 1.4, the stable version of Wine i.e Wine 1.6...
This tutorial is for tenderfoot users of Linux.This tutorial will teach you to perform the basic tasks using the "Terminal". ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Logging & Session Management : login Use : To...
Darling Project, like Wine is developing the compatibility layer which will run the OS X applications on linux Operating system.Darling is dependent on GNUstep, Opensurce implementation of Apple's Objective-C software...
A medical device engineer knows that his work may be of direct help to a patient in suffering and may even grant extension of life. The stress comes from the...