my published article on sustainability

I wrote it for a newsletter for IFMA organization by their request addressing sustainability as it would relate to FMs/PEs in the future.

The Future of Sustainability: Linking Facilities and Technology
By John Netzel, CFM, PCRM

What will be key for the growth of the future of sustainability as relates to a facility? Most facility managers know what sustainability is and what can be done to create a sustainable facility, but what methods will be required in the future to keep a facility operating sustainably? Where is the field currently trending? The key for the future lies in the interconnection between technology linkages to the facility.

Sustainability can be summarized as, “Practices that would ensure the continued viability of a product or practice well into the future.” The most commonly used definition comes from the 1983 United Nations Brundtland Commission defining sustainability as, “That which meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” As outlined by FMpedia, an online contributor-based facility management glossary sponsored by the IFMA Foundation. Facility managers are aware of best practices that can be implemented in an effort to further sustainability, such as using compact florescent bulbs or low Gallons Per Flush (GPF) toilet diaphragms.

Technological advances in products creates efficient, sustainably items. These improvements lend themselves to enable energy efficiency, adaptability to meet changing user needs, designs of a smaller, lighter and stronger nature and a virtual interface reducing consumable consumption like paper and ink. As individual components these products serve the needs of the client while increasing the sustainable impact of the facility. Waterless urinals, green roofs, solar and wind energy generation, recycling material, composting, sensor driven equipment and energy management systems all are examples of technology products being used in facilities today. Current developments are leading to machine room free elevator systems with regeneration, step to active escalators and ionized water cleaning.

The key for creating future growth in sustainability will be the linking of these technology products into an integrated web allowing for optimal efficiency within a facility. Having building systems tied in together will create a facility that is less dependant on outside resources. With a more complete cycle loop, systems will not require the levels of outside input for production, which will minimize the carbon footprint of the system and the facility as a whole. Linking green technology with localized renewable energy generation neutralizes the gaps in product/energy cycle loops that currently create carbon footprints detrimental to sustainability. Sustainability is increased and refined with each new link in the green web is created within the facility.

To illustrate, we can examine a building water system which typically is comprised of three main types: potable, waste and runoff. Incoming potable water is used for all forms of supply and all waste is removed, resulting in a large break in the sustainability web and a heavy usage of resources. Today’s technology used to capture runoff, combined with onsite treatment of grey water from low flow sinks, allows the water to be recycled providing water for low flow toilets, landscaping, boilers, chillers, laundry equipment and ionized water cleaning equipment. The linkages create a whole more sustainable driven then the parts. Another example would be incorporating a green or reflective roof with energy efficient building material and heat regulating media like new window products. These building systems increase the energy efficiency of a facility when tied with efficient HVAC systems- incorporating EMS, thermo-acoustic cooling and off-peak ice harvesting using grey water and renewable energy generation via solar panels or wind generators creating a web on links. Additionally, each facility can be linked to another by creating a sustainable web incorporating a larger area to increase effect. To illustrate; Building A has a grey water recovery and processing system and green roof composed of edible greens. This facility sells harvest of the green roof to Building B, which then markets the harvest to consumers and sells electricity from a solar generation roof back to Building A.

In the future, linking technology of product advancement within a building system will create an efficient, low carbon footprint system. As a linked web of individual systems, the facility exponentially increases the sustainability much greater than the individual components working alone. This will be necessary for advancement and growth of sustainability as it pertains to facility management.

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Thanks Sir for sharing the article here. Can you Please put more light on "active escalators". I am not cleared at that - What you tried to convey.

Thanks ! 😀
  • gohm
    gohm
    Sure, they are a form of vertical transporation that turn on & off automatically as people step on them, instead of continuously running.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    gohm
    Sure, they are a form of vertical transporation that turn on & off automatically as people step on them, instead of continuously running.
    Oh , do such escalators already exist or some work is going on development? How it is done? Is it possible to tell in brief about its construction & design part?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    They are already in existence. I have seen a few in Malls and at Metro Stations. The stairs begin to move as soon as you get on. It continues moving for 5 minutes after you get off and If there is no one else gets on it, it stops.

I guess some LED sensors may be used to give the escalators their sensitivity. Working on the binary 0 and 1. When a person steps in, he/she blocks the LED light from reaching the sensor and it gives a "0" reading, and the escalator starts to move. This is just a guess and I am not sure this is the right way to do this.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    raj87verma88
    They are already in existence. I have seen a few in Malls and at Metro Stations. The stairs begin to move as soon as you get on. If there is no one on it, it stops.
    Oh , he was talking about those , how foolish me.😔 I thought they are something different escalators as he added a word active. Thanks raj for clearing.

@Gohm Please ignore my last questions
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moved to articles discussion section 😀
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Why? There is nothing wrong with your question? The escalators Gohm mentioned may something different.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I thought there was some kind of IR detection system which enables the escalators move fast when I aprpoached them in train stations.😀 i never did a research on them though to know how they work.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Usually two groups of sensors to trigger operation. An IR beam that is broken upon approach to the stairs which releases the brake and energizes the system. Pressure on the threshold plate then triggers the escalator steps to rotate. If no further IR beam breakage, then when the pressure plate on the top transition is triggered the steps glide to a slow stop for safety. Via a key or safety switch you can also run the units in regular continuous operation mode. As others mentioned we have the technology however it is very new and only in use in a couple locations world wide. Mitsubishi is a big player in vertical transportation advancement. Welcome to the age of the Jetsons! lol
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    nice nice!

So is it set to a time duration till which the system controls waits for the IR beam to be disrupted?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Wow! This is great and very informative. Congratulations!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    gohm
    Usually two groups of sensors to trigger operation. An IR beam that is broken upon approach to the stairs which releases the brake and energizes the system. Pressure on the threshold plate then triggers the escalator steps to rotate. If no further IR beam breakage, then when the pressure plate on the top transition is triggered the steps glide to a slow stop for safety. Via a key or safety switch you can also run the units in regular continuous operation mode. As others mentioned we have the technology however it is very new and only in use in a couple locations world wide. Mitsubishi is a big player in vertical transportation advancement. Welcome to the age of the Jetsons! lol
    Thanks for the information Sir. How that IR beam is generated in it. 😕 Is is possible to get some detailed information on how it works?

PS: Please don't laugh if my questions are sounding stupid.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Sure, it is worked into the architecture of the area, either walls, railings or sign posts on either side of the walk path a meter or two before the combplate of the unit. the signpost are good because not only do they hide the emitter and reflector, they also of course have signs on top alerting pedestrians about the escalator.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Quite an informative article. Nice write up Gohm, and an equally interesting discussion to follow it.

Anyway well written.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Thanks for the kind words everyone
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Very nice article Gohm 😀
  • gohm
    gohm
    It should be out for the world too see in a couple days, hope it is well received. Other than poetry/prose I am not a writer type.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nice one, gohm. I hope engineers would always keep sustainability in mind when designing devices.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This decade saw the rise of lot of social networking sites. Almost everyone I know is hooked to FaceBook, Orkut or Hi5. While social networking sites are fun to use...
Post your most favorite instrumental ever, in this thread! 😀 Mine is Canon Rock!
I checked this cool site where they convert your name into some sort of Robotic Acronym. Check these out, I typed in the names of some CEans.
🎉 Wishing you the craziest happy birthday of your life.😁 Let us have :music::myparty::dance:
I hope this How-to helps and encourages more and more people to go for Linux. I will attempt to describe the most common packages that you need to play your...