MY PROJECT

hi guys,
my project abstract is power generation from a moving hovercraft boat.i need some suggestions please help me

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Can you explain what are your ideas regarding that topic? You must have thought about something right?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Power is needed to move the hovercraft. Any generation of power from this will only increase the input power. The second law of thermodynamics shows that this increase in input power will always be more than any power generated.

There is no free lunch. Not a meaningful project.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    A.V.Ramani
    Power is needed to move the hovercraft. Any generation of power from this will only increase the input power. The second law of thermodynamics shows that this increase in input power will always be more than any power generated.

There is no free lunch. Not a meaningful project.
    I am not sure if I am in right direction, but can we have something like mini windmills put over the hovercraft. I am not sure the resistance this mills will offer to the forward motion will be worth, but may be?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    [Prototype]
    I am not sure if I am in right direction, but can we have something like mini windmills put over the hovercraft. I am not sure the resistance this mills will offer to the forward motion will be worth, but may be?
    No, there is no way such a wind mill can generate more power than the power required to overcome the added wind resistance. Second law will not permit it.
  • RAMKUMAR.T
    RAMKUMAR.T
    [Prototype]
    Can you explain what are your ideas regarding that topic? You must have thought about something right?
    yes.I will explain it briefly, A hovercraft uses a two stroke engine which runs at a speed of 3000 rpm. This speed is only used to move the vehicle, where as by coupling a dynamo to the shaft of the engine we can also generate electric current.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    RAMKUMAR.T
    we can also generate electric current.
    What way is that different from a diesel generator? Fuel will be consumed to produce power. Please review your thermodynamics of heat engines subject.

If you can generate surplus power from a hovercraft, so can you from any other moving object like trains, automotive vehicles, planes and millions of two wheelers.
    In the final analysis, what is proposed is a perpetual motion machine of the second kind.
  • RAMKUMAR.T
    RAMKUMAR.T
    A.V.Ramani
    What way is that different from a diesel generator? Fuel will be consumed to produce power. Please review your thermodynamics of heat engines subject.

If you can generate surplus power from a hovercraft, so can you from any other moving object like trains, automotive vehicles, planes and millions of two wheelers.
    In the final analysis, what is proposed is a perpetual motion machine of the second kind.
    a diesel generator is only used to generate electricity but my project generates electricity and also helps in the locomotion of the hovercraft.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    RAMKUMAR.T
    my project generates electricity and also helps in the locomotion of the hovercraft.
    I am afraid that I might not have explained properly. A certain amount of power is drawn from the engine for locomotion. If additional electric power is generated by the same engine it will have supply more power to maintain both the locomotion of the craft and the electric generation. Effectively, more fuel will be consumed for this double function.
    Input power (represented by the fuel consumed) = Power for locomotion + electric power generated + Waste heat in exhaust gases and engine cooling
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    RAMKUMAR.T
    yes.I will explain it briefly, A hovercraft uses a two stroke engine which runs at a speed of 3000 rpm. This speed is only used to move the vehicle, where as by coupling a dynamo to the shaft of the engine we can also generate electric current.
    Ah that's not possible. I was afraid you would say that. That's the reason I asked for your idea at the first place.
    If that would've been possible, I'd couple the generators with their own output. No more requirement of fuel to run them. They could run themselves while providing electricity for others too. This goes totally against the Law of conservation of energy as you're essentially trying to "produce" energy which is not possible. The total energy in the universe is constant. You may just convert them from one form to another and this conversion isn't lossless. There will always be losses.

I had thought may be putting something like windmills would work but as Mr.Ramani cleared, the resistance they will offer to the motion will cancel out any gains.
  • RAMKUMAR.T
    RAMKUMAR.T
    i have a made a model of my project and i am able to generate electricity. yes there were losses,but with the help of spur gears it is possible with an efficiency of more than 75%
  • RAMKUMAR.T
    RAMKUMAR.T
    [Prototype]
    Ah that's not possible. I was afraid you would say that. That's the reason I asked for your idea at the first place.
    If that would've been possible, I'd couple the generators with their own output. No more requirement of fuel to run them. They could run themselves while providing electricity for others too. This goes totally against the Law of conservation of energy as you're essentially trying to "produce" energy which is not possible. The total energy in the universe is constant. You may just convert them from one form to another and this conversion isn't lossless. There will always be losses.

I had thought may be putting something like windmills would work but as Mr.Ramani cleared, the resistance they will offer to the motion will cancel out any gains.
    yes thats possible, i have made a model of my project and i am able to generate electricity. there were some losses but with the help of spur gear trains, losses can be minimised .I coupled the output of the engine to the input of the generator and i am able to generate electricity. The propeller of the hovercraft is fixed to the output of the engine.so when the engine runs, it runs the propeller and also it runs the generator.so electricity can be produced.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    RAMKUMAR.T
    yes thats possible, i have made a model of my project and i am able to generate electricity. there were some losses but with the help of spur gear trains, losses can be minimised .I coupled the output of the engine to the input of the generator and i am able to generate electricity. The propeller of the hovercraft is fixed to the output of the engine.so when the engine runs, it runs the propeller and also it runs the generator.so electricity can be produced.
    The energy you generated isn't worth it because you ended up burning more diesel. Before if your hovercraft was able to move 50 km in 1 liter of diesel, now it'll move only 20 km because of your arrangement.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Any rotating shift connected to a generator will produce electricity. Provided the prime mover can generate the torque.
    So what is new?
    On the other hand, a specifically designed DG set will give maximum efficiency.
  • fadairo adeoluwa
    fadairo adeoluwa
    I think i tend to agree with what A. V. Ramani has just told you. he should be able to help you out on that

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Everyone I am Dhanya .I have completed my Engineering in ECE during 2015 with 6.8 CGPA .Presently working in Logistics field which is completely not related to me .Now...
Can anyone help me to prepare a paper presentation to present in my college? Any engineering related topics are invited. Thanks in advance.☕
me and my team is manufacturing a formula style race car to compete in a competition, for that we require paddle shifters for shifting the gears. so please send the...
Hi friends. I am using Ubuntu 14.04, when I want to installing ruby on rails in it. some errors are occured. when i type rvm install ruby it gives "no...
I'm curious to know whether our CEans find notifications and alerts from various installed mobile apps useful. I read a conversation on LinkedIn that was on the lines "Flipkart sends...