My new year resolutions !!

When the clock strikes twelve on December 31st, people all over the world cheer and wish each other a very Happy New Year. For some, this event is no more than a change of a calendar. For others, the New Year symbolizes the beginning of a better tomorrow. So, if you look forward to a good year ahead, spread happiness with these wonderful New Year wishes.

But one thing that I find really amusing is the concept of new year resolutions !! Some say they are sweet, some they are meant to be broken... But this year, in 2008, I have decided to follow a very unusual list of resolutions. Yes, its not about getting thin or about being a better person and neither about scoring better in exams nor about indulging less in the time pass activities. Since this year will mark the end of my engineering education (?) where most of the time I have spent in gaming, this was the best that suited for me... Here you go !!

* My gaming resolutions *

1) I will not start playing games on the "easiest" difficulty level...

Yeah... when I finally get "Call of Duty 4" I wont be playing it on "greenhorn" level. Sometimes the temptation to select the easiest difficulty setting (prior to even experiencing how hard the game actually is) is just too overwhelming. This is especially true when you start to doubt your gaming skills and worry about the possibility of getting stuck indefinitely at some later point in the game. We've all been there, but we all also know the consequences of automatically picking the least difficult game setting: the game becomes too easy. You begin letting enemies wail on you because the damage you take is so infinitesimal, you stop caring about preserving ammunition/items, and you ultimately don't have as much fun because you're not faced with any real challenge.

2) I wont start a new game unless I complete the one I am playing currently...

For most gamers, it's unrealistic to think that we'll be able to complete 110% of every game we own, but if we put too many games on the backburner it's easy to completely lose interest in putting forth a decent effort to play through them. Just because Need for Speed - ProStreet was released doesn't mean we have to give up on the game(s) we're playing and run to the store, right? Complete the Need for Speed - Most Wanted's "Challenges" first, I can assure you, they will give you a run for your money !!

3) I wont rely on a single source before rating a game...

Be it GameSpot, IGN, or AmputeeGaming, we all have a favorite gaming pub, and sometimes we give too much credit to the reviewer's take on a specific game. Obviously, when GameSpot gives a game a "6.0," the game is more than likely a turd. But when a game that you're excited for receives a less than perfect score, do the right thing and check other media outlets and/or ask your friends. One of the best examples that I can quote here is "Marvel : ultimate alliance" suggested by a friend of mine and its a cool game though most of the gaming sites have rated it on the lower side. As SRK says, "Listen to your heart !!" or whatever...4) I will limit the number of hours that I put in gaming so that I can get more out of the outdoor life...

The next GTA (yeah, GTA-4 is coming !!) is released and the only time you have to lay your hands over the game is after work. By the time you manage to slip out of the office/college, get your a** to downloading / buying it and you're minutes away from passing out from exhaustion. Before you know it, you're asleep with the controller in your hand and you're barely past the title screen. As a result, you call into work sick, skip college, cancel plans for the following day. Even we've done it at times, but this year we're going to try to keep the number of instances we devote to an entire day of gaming to a minimum. Though I don't fall short in terms of the fun that I have with friends and relatives, from this year I intend to explore even more !!

5) I will force myself to play different genres of game that I was hitherto not so interested in...

Who hasn't said one or more of the following?

"I don't have the patience to sit through the endless lines of dialogue to play RPGs." "First-person shooters make me nauseous, so I don't bother with them."
"Sports games are simply too much boring, same stuff infinite times"
"Racing games require skill, who wants to be a pro??"
And so on and so forth. We all have our favorite genre, but why limit your gaming experience simply because you're too stubborn to try something different? Hate RPGs? Try Mass Effect. Don't care for the mindless shooting of FPS games? Give BioShock a whirl. (though you will require a monster of a system to play them !!)
That's all on the gaming front for this year. Happy gaming to you too. Click #-Link-Snipped-# to post your comments.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Interesting post!

I think the problem with trying out games is the price factor. For me, I'd have to do quite a number of research before dumping $$$ on it. That pretty much discourages me to try different types of games. Demo's are one thing, but like movie trailers, they don't tell the full story!

Of course.. theres the illegal way.. but we CEans are ethical. No? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • suyash
    suyash
    ash
    Of course.. theres the illegal way.. but we CEans are ethical. No? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    but most of the CEans might be actually posting here via a pirated Microsoft OS though ๐Ÿ˜•...
  • mahul
    mahul
    Can we start a poll over here?? Betcha any cs/it student doesnt buy his stuff ๐Ÿ˜€ . Unless your college sponsors it anyway. And i can't really comment on what the pro's around here do, but i'm pretty confident of what i'm gonna do once i join a job, no matter how bad that sounds.....
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Mahul, you just lost your bet ๐Ÿ˜€

Using ubuntu + crossover (paid $40 myself) + MS Office (my own license) dual booted with WinXP (my own license again). CS student and working to get my firm completely licensed.

Trust me guys, software piracy laws against a firm are much more real and stricter in India ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I know what it takes to develop the software. I use a licensed version of MS Vista & MS Office 2007. It did cost some bucks, but it feels good that you aren't being a part of the piracy thing.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I don't wanna to continue this off-topic discussion. But.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you can't afford the license, there are MANY free and open sourced alternatives. The only effort you need is to search for them!

I'm sure the colleges can provide subsidized software for students. All they need to do is ask, right?
  • suyash
    suyash
    this topic has already gone haywire.... till the time its moved somewhere else, I would like to point out something:

the major reason, why most of the people, don't go for free wares, is due to their rather unpopularity (and in some cases, complexity in use)...
    so while people grow up using windows xp (of course, pirated) and using MS office (need I point it again? ) , they tend to get a knack of them...

so when it comes to actually using a free linux distro or star office... its the above mentioned reasons that set them apart from general use...

and I will surely agree with mahul here... "most" of the CS/IT/computer literate people don't use licensed version of softwares, simply because they cant afford it, setting aside the guilt of being involved in something unethical...

though there must have been numerous debates about software piracy on CE, I will like to rest my case by saying that (gulp, don't ban me for this ), software piracy shouldn't be treated as a "cause" of unethical behaviour, but rather it must be addressed as an "effect" of unethical business practices... (please PM me if you want an explanation of the same...)

and FYI, Microsoft is itself reported to have used 3rd party pirated softwares in its offices, so that M$ or Bill Gates (hehe...) doesn't have to shelve off the bucks from his pocket and he can instead impose the "genuine advantage" on others !!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In my opinion, most of the people do use freeware. I haven't come across a freeware that is 'complex' or difficult to understand/learn. Probably, few of them might lack good documentation, but that's not the case always.

People just love to hate Microsoft. Why would Microsoft use pirated software in its office? They have lots of cash in their bank and they can buy all the software they need.

Suyash, throw some light on this please -

software piracy shouldn't be treated as a "cause" of unethical behaviour, but rather it must be addressed as an "effect" of unethical business practices...
    Software piracy is a serious issue!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hehe, I frequently use freeware. As a student, I'll probably only use a fraction of a features available on commercial products. Most of the 1000 bucks software aren't meant for students.. they are meant for professionals! Even if you use them at college, use the ones provided by the institution. They have paid ALOT on licenses (probably from your fees), so take advantage of them ๐Ÿ˜‰

Windows XP OEM Pro is around what, $140? I'm sure some can use the effort to save money. Limit the times you go to Starbucks, movies, arcades, cybercafe, and you'll probably get enough after a while. Even when you buy a new comp (*gasp* how did you get THAT much money to buy it??), the OS is preinstalled.

If you find Win OS still too expensive, try Linux. Im sure as CS/IT students, one MUST try a distro of linux. You guys know more about it's advantages over Windows or Mac than the rest of us!

If people find a way to pirate computer hardware, they would. They'll just try to find more excuses for doing so ๐Ÿ˜‰

*ahem*

Goooing back on topic, which game do you plan to play after NFS Carbon suyash? GTA-4 issit? lol
  • suyash
    suyash
    The_Big_K
    People just love to hate Microsoft. Why would Microsoft use pirated software in its office? They have lots of cash in their bank and they can buy all the software they need.

Suyash, throw some light on this please -
    First of all, I have no reason to hate Microsoft at all, since I have tremendous respect for them for pioneering the personal computer revolution that they have created and which enables infinite users to do many things that one wants to do with his/her pc... Even I have been brought up on M$ softwares, and for all that I'm thankful. I was only pointing out that even a company like Microsoft hasnt escaped the lure of saving a few bucks here and there and when I said that, I got it from some authentic source on the internet that created quite a stir back then.

For more please #-Link-Snipped-#...

maybe It was just a one off incident, but I was only pointing it out... Maybe other bigwigs like Google too indulge in such stuff, but I am no way accusing it of anything... hehe...
    and one more thing if you still have time to find the hypocrisy behind software piracy, you might actually have some soul stirring curry after #-Link-Snipped-#

pause...
    ash
    Goooing back on topic, which game do you plan to play after NFS Carbon suyash? GTA-4 issit? lol
    and once again coming back to topic,
    I "want to play" Assasin's Creed now... will wait for one more month so that I complete my engineering !!

Wow... I am about to complete my engineering soon !! Yahoo !!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nokia Aeon Concept Phone โ€‹ Nokia have introduced another concept phone which is quite smart. It is based on 2 touch sensative screens fastened together by fuel cell battery. Nokia...

hi

hi friends good evening..........๐Ÿ˜
until recently, I didnt know that the term gaming referred to gambling in general... I was shocked !! but I, being the clean soul that I am.. ๐Ÿ˜Ž , of...
friends, good evening.After seeing this site i m very happy that the crazy engineers will help me for my mini project if any doubts r there!!!!!!
This book is like the paramount when it comes to effective management practices with respect to the manufacturing sector. What I wanted to know is, the name of the book...