Music Search Engine - Ideas & Discussions

Everyone searches for music online. I mosty search for music by track titles. But most of the times, I can't remember the title - just few words from the songs. And...

that's where the modern search engines fail. Of course, I'm directed to lyrics pages, but seldom I'm directed to the song.

That's the problem I believe, exists. So, what are your ideas on making music search better? All complex algorithms are welcome.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    hi,
    there can be a database of which lyrics file corresponds to which song file. Like a one to one map or something. The lyrics file and the song file need not be in the same site. They only need to be correctly mapped. then we can link from one to the other. And as is known, using words from the song to find the lyrics file is easy. But the only hard part of course is the creation of such a database.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Silver - the 'mapping' is what we are trying to address in this discussion. As you said, we need to link the lyrics with the song files. But let's say, I'm searching for Moto Perpetuo by Paganini - its' got no lyrics! The problem becomes tougher here!

Probably, crowdsourcing the whole 'lyrics - song file' linking is a way to go. I'm not sure how practical it is.

What do others say?
  • YourTechMate
    YourTechMate
    Guys, I believe U r missing on something here... The search world does not ends at google. If you are aware of there is a chinese search engine called #-Link-Snipped-#, that search engines is gaining quite comptative clicks as compared to that of google and the reason behind it is MUSIC searching capapbility. Try it out.. It rocks...
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    Good discussion is Going on....

This is where the Thing "Keywords" Come in handy...instead of having the whole lyrics ...in Database...we can have repeating lines and famous lines of lyrics in Keywords.... and also Album and Artist Name

this not only reduces the space issue but also is valid in terms of Psychology ...

General Tendency of Human is to Remember the repeating Lines in Song...or Famous lines in Song.... Unless untill you listen song for 10 times...to remember complete lyrics....
  • xero
    xero
    I think the smarter way will be the use of tags. If our intent is to search songs by track name better tag it!
    So this avoids the use of complex algorithms and searching will be faster 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends, I am a new crazy engineer.Can any one help me in my final year project which is related to video processing. project details: In this project the output...
HI My turn to twist ur brains..Answer this simple question.. You and 2 other people have numbers written on your foreheads. You are all told that the numbers on your...
I plan on getting a motor and controlling it with pulse width modulation. I noticed some motors don't function that well when the frequency of the PWM is too high...
hello...... i m final year student of branch mechanical.......suggest me the topic for project. which is cheep and best .plz i canot think about my topic.plz help me.
Name: Lock-Os *Engineering Trade: Mechanical Location: Pittsburgh, PA *Occupation: Student at Penn State University Work Experience: None *Hobbies & Interests: Scale Models, Blacksmithing, Anime, Military History, Taking things apart &...