Muffler design for race car

i am working on a project of making race car for some international competition . According to rules , the noise level should be less than 110 db . I have designed two absorptive mufflers but none of them was able to reduce the sound level to that limit. So, now i am thinking of designing a reactive muffler but wont have sufficient knowledge. So, anyone having any knowledge or prior experience regarding this please help me . its urgent ,we have to complete it within this month. Regarding engine , we are using honda cbr600rr engine .

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The only personal mechanised transport I have driven (?) is an old Humber bicycle. This is way off my radar.
    Any attenuation (sound or light) tends to be frequency specific. Bose systems sell a noise suppressing head phone, which is a single user device. It may be possible to device something that can do this to a car exhaust.

Some basic design principles are available.
    here are two sources offered for what they are worth as I am not competent to judge their value.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well, #-Link-Snipped-# , that is an awesome project. As #-Link-Snipped-# said, sounds in an automobile are frequency specific. Since you say the designed mufflers are not able to suppress the noise below 110 dB, there is a very strong chance that there is some particular component which might be producing that noise, and that needs your attention. May be you can take care of its sound level and you should be good to go! My point is: troubleshooting to identify which component/noise in particular is the culprit and taking care of it.

For this, I had a Matlab code written in Grad school which takes a sound input as an excel file (easy to make from a sound input) and does the Fourier transform on it to give the frequency components of the sound file. This code might help you identify the frequencies with highest amplitudes (I think it is scaled to show amplitude in dB, even if not, it is a very easy conversion from V to dB). Looking at those plots you might get an idea to find out which component needs your attention.

Note: This is not the kind of solution you asked for. I am just contributing my 2 cents, as otherwise, I have no experience of Muffler design with which I can help you. I will share the file with you after I get home today.
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir , it would be of great help if u share the code.
  • lal
    lal
    A.V.Ramani
    Bose systems sell a noise suppressing head phone, which is a single user device. It may be possible to device something that can do this to a car exhaust.[/url]
    That would be to record and invert the phase of muffler's sound and reproduce on a loudspeaker with zero time lag.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Rishabh1234
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir , it would be of great help if u share the code.
    Sir 😁 That was uncalled for 😀
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    actually i am habituated of calling sir here in collage.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Never mind, don't call me that 😀 I feel older than I am 😀
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    haha ok. can u please upload the code soon. its a little urgent
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I will message you the code. Wont share it here. I am finding it, should be in your mailbox in 12 hours.
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    ok thanks
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    If u are making race car for sae supra.......Then u can use some external support for reducing the unwanted noise..........
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    i am making it for FSAE. what kind of external source are you talking about
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    micro system for reducing the noise of muffler........
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    i think its against the rule of fsae competition.
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    Since I didnt read the FSAE rule book so i have no idea what is against rule...............Is it mention in rolebook that in car micro system is not allowed.
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    what type of micro systems are u talking about
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    First tell me have u read the rule book of FSAE..............is it mention some where in book that u cant use microsysytem.........
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    rule book of FSAE.........
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    Read this rule book and work according to rule.............
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    yeah i have read it. it is not explicitly written to avoid the use microsystems .
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    I have one journal in which these micro system is discussed..........but the PDF size is 22 MB.........it getting problem to upload.......give your email I will mail u
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    Spoiler: My Email
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Suman Jha
    I have one journal in which these micro system is discussed..........but the PDF size is 22 MB.........it getting problem to upload.......give your email I will mail u
    Why not upload the file to the 'downloads' section? Others will be able to download and benefit from it. 😀
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    I upload the journal on download section u can #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    what is the name of the file? i cant find it
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    microsystem for automobile......
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    i think they have removed your file from here.
    please mail it.
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    Yes since that was a journal so they remove...........
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    The file size of the ebook is more than 25 MB.....I cant mail to u.......
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    The file size of the ebook is more than 25 MB.....I cant mail to u.......
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    you can upload it on any file sharing site. i think scribd would be best.
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    ok I am trying..........
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    have u done it ?
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    no I am going to......
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    please post the download link here when you are done uploading it .
  • Suman Kumar Jha
    Suman Kumar Jha
    okkkk...........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you thought you could spill a cup of coffee on your keyboard in a furious state of mind after reading an online troll and clean it up later thinking...
I was reading additional material about Samsung's research about 5X transmission speeds and came across an article that said soon Samsung's stock would jump. I've read about it multiple times...
Even though the folks at Facebook’s Oculus VR are still working out the kinks associated with the public launch of their maiden virtual reality headset, it did not prevent them...
do help me asap to upload pdf for eligibility certificate & community certificate
A few days ago during the Flipkart Big Billion Sale fiasco I came across an article on this blog that highlighted the fact that some companies are not choosing to...