MS Office 2010: 7 Features That Matter The Most

I am a big fan of Microsoft’s Office suite. It’s one of their best products ever, definitely geared at boosting productivity for office. The product is well managed and supported by the organization, and I think this might be their most profitable retail product. The later versions of MS Office were aimed at changing the way we work, making it easier. I took a look at Office 2010, and quite a bit has changed.

Performance

The load time of the applications is definitely lesser than its predecessors. Office 2010 doesn’t seem too heavy on the system. When we did the jump from Office XP to Office 2003/2007, the resources required for Office to run smoothly suddenly shot up. I am not saying that Office 2010 does not require resources, it still does (at least the beta does), but they have worked on the loading time.

#-Link-Snipped-#
Microsoft Office 2010

UI

The interface is much flatter and sleeker. This makes it very easy on the eyes and power users get to focus only on the documents they are working on other than the pretty graphical interface. It’s an improvement over Office 2007 which had those shiny gradients without any purpose.

Ribbon

The ribbon persists. But its flatter and can be dismissed very easily leaving a clean and minimalistic look for Office. When the ribbon first appeared, it was a paradigm shift, now in the later versions I have grown to be comfortable with this feature.

Menu

The File menu has been developed further; it now takes the space of an entire tab. All the file related properties can be accessed through it, without having to hunt around for advanced file properties. Even the pop-up menu which appears on right click has been added to; with functions like Paste options (definitely handy!!), and a host of additional actions which you can add to with custom plug-ins.

Printing & Publishing

Online media has been taken into consideration in the publishing part of Office. Now you can directly publish content from your office documents to blogs, internet web pages, collaborative suites, email, etc. The advanced options, which we normally use while printing are now readily available in the File tab itself. This is definitely a huge bonus for power publishers, who can save time in tweaking the Print options.

Templates & Smart Art

The amount of templates made available to a user has boosted due to Microsoft allowing the community to contribute document templates and clip-art to the Office Live site. Now no need to Google for the correct document template, just use the File tab to select and choose the proper template through New File Wizard.

Sharing

The latest version of Office is centered on collaboration and team workspaces. However, this is a bit unfriendly for most users since it is a new concept and has a learning curve to it.

All in all a good upgrade to the existing Office suite and definitely worth investing into if you are a power user.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The BPS SA ban in Warsaw, Poland became the first bank in the world to offer easy money withdrawal through fingerprint scanning. The ATM allows customers to withdraw money by...
For decades, computer performance has been driven largely by the increasing numbers of ever-smaller transistors squeezed into the machines' silicon brains. These Silicon Chips are the heart of our Digital...
SKA stands for Square Kilometre away. It is a radio telescope with an effective collecting area more than 30 times greater than the largest telescope ever built will reveal the...
Mary Meeker, Morgan Stanley's analyst and more popularly known as the "Queen of the Net" has come out with her yearly Internet analysis. I have been following her
China based leading global telecom solutions provider, Huawei corporation and the company that supplies EVDO modems to BSNL subscribers are planning to open offices in India. The companies are facing...