MS Degree vs. directly applying for jobs overseas

😎I am Dinesh from India; I just joined this site and found that you answer to questions of all engineers (novice to adroit) excellently and patiently. I wish to thank you heartily for this.

About me...
Work experience around 5 years (3 years in programming and 2 Years in production support monitoring). My skill set is Open systems (C, C++, Perl and Sybase). I completed B.Tech (Information technology) on May 2005 with 78%.
I have my GRE 1100 (V-330,Q-770), TOEFL-110.
I wish to pursue higher studies in a foreign land (Canada, Sweden or Singapore).

Queries..

1. What makes difference in pursuing MS degree over applying directly for a job via foreign country Job portals?

2. Can you let me know the MS or Meng program name which is aligned to my degree and experience?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @genialdinesh: Welcome to CE 😀 !

1. What makes difference in pursuing MS degree over applying directly for a job via foreign country Job portals?
    - First of all, you need to have your goals for MS clear. If getting a job overseas is your aim, you should explore other avenues as wasting 2 years studying is not a very good idea.

As far as I know, it's very difficult to directly apply to jobs overseas. The companies won't entertain your application because you need to have work permit to work in any country. Company would prefer hiring locally than hiring from other countries.

However, there ARE companies that do hire people from other countries - they are mostly European countries. You might have to get in touch with the immigration consultants to get help on this.

The best way is to go for MS in the field of your interest. Your work experience is an added advantage to you and it would certainly give you an edge while applying for jobs after completing MS studies. Try to find out information about various courses available in universities. You may also try to write to the university's PR department and they'll be happy to consult you.

The biggest advantage of opting for MS is that your chances of getting hired by a company, and subsequently getting the work permit increase exponentially.

I don't think trying to look for a job through job portals will be much fruitful, but you can surely try, it's free 😀 .

2. Can you let me know the MS or Meng program name which is aligned to my degree and experience?
    IT engineers have lot of options available for MS studies. I'd recommend that you prepare a sample list of courses you'd like to consider. Once this is done, we can help you shortlist the best course according to your liking & skillset.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, feel free to post them in this thread! [​IMG]

All the best!
  • genialdinesh
    genialdinesh
    Thank you for quick response. I have found few courses for MS, I need your guidance in shortlisting course, Which can make use of my expereince ( I have provided short note of my experience in previous post)

Computer and electrical engineering
    Information systems management
    Information technology
    Software engineering

I am interested in all this, but I have mixed experience. 2 years in Embedded systems domain and 2 years in Banking domain. But the programming languages used is common in both of this. I program as per the requirement specification irrespective of domain.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please advice i have an old pneumatic control valve with Pressure Indicator Controller (PIC) and PT (pressure tarnsimeter ) i want to convert the pneumatic signals to field bus signal...
Sir, Happy Teacher's Day...... i wanna some idea about hw to give paper presentation and relavent topic to digital communication...... plz... do help me.
Hi, I'm an Electronics & Communication engineer(2009 pass out), currently i'm planning to write Gate and am studying on my own. I wanted to do a job in the meantime...
I have completed my b.tech in IT and placed in a software concern...I wanted to do MBA but dont want to lose this job in this present situation so wanted...
dynamically i want to write a programme for 'M' for loops i.e. 'M' will be provided at the run time and depending on that 'M' for loops will executes. Example:...