motor controllers.

So can anyone tell me how a controller for a PMDC motor is used.

How is it connected to the motor and what are the parameters that it can control.

What are the general specifications these controllers have ?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Are you talking about BLDC motor control?
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    i use L298/3. one end is for logic input from controller. other is for motor analog output. speed, direction and enable can be controlled. google those ICs. need any help, get in touch.
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    also specify what motor you are using. can be answered better.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Well i am going to use 12 volt 56 amp permanent magnet dc motor. can you explain the concept of these motor controllers in detail.

#-Link-Snipped-#

whats BLDC
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    please specify the use. that one is a heavy duty i guess. you will require a different motor driver. they work on a circuit called the H bridge. will share a article. BLDC is brushless DC motor.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    abhijeetkhan
    please specify the use. that one is a heavy duty i guess. you will require a different motor driver. they work on a circuit called the H bridge. will share a article. BLDC is brushless DC motor.

well i am not gonna use BLDC.

we are building an electric car, and this motor is going to power it. now i am looking for a controller which will control its speed as well as direction of rotation. i also want to know how this controller can be interfaced to the accelerator pedal.
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    now we're talking! will have to do a bit of research on it. haven't worked on high amp motors. give me some time.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    ok dude take your time.
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    google H Bridge.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    zaveri
    now i am looking for a controller which will control its speed as well as direction of rotation.
    Speed of permanent magnet dc motor can be controlled by varying the voltage applied to the armature. Feedback devices sense motor speed and send this information to the control to vary its output voltage up or down to keep speed at or near the set value.

Feedback techniques include voltage tachometers, optical encoders, electromagnetic pulse generators,
    and back emf monitoring. And by using thyristor firing pulse controller, voltage can be controlled.

P.S: correct me if I am wrong
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    #-Link-Snipped-# that's theory. what he needs is a practical solution. controllers are available in the market. need to hunt them that's all.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

you are right , but right now the motor is gonna be controlled manually, and will not incorporate any of that mechatronics stuff.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    ok one last thing, for a 12volt motor, what should be the voltage range for the controller ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This may give you some pointers:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Facetime - the popular video chat application on Apple's platform may soon be getting ready to work on 3G networks. Until now the app only worked over wi-fi connections; but...
Want to stream 'Sony Music' to iOS devices like iPhone and iPod Touch. Premium subscribers can choose any album or song from our massive catalog, or sit back and enjoy...
Explain critically the statement: "the channel from my VDU to teh computer uses full duplex asynchronous transmission".
Looks like a great community you got here. I’m Darren from Co Armagh in Northern Ireland. I’m an I.T Consultant and have been taking things apart from day one. Once...

Hi!

Hi everyone. I am Vishakh and I an engineering student. Happy to be a part of CE.