Most important topics in Mechanical Engineering

hey guysss !!!!this is jishnu nair..i m goin to take a step in this evergreen and fascinating world of mechanical engineerin...i wuld lyk to know what are the important topics which one should master during this course of mechanical engineering so that he can be one of the finest engineers...awaiting ur valuable feedback😀

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    I'd suggest you to develop a very strong understanding of basic subjects like - mechanics, thermodynamics and manufacturing processes.
    Later on, when you will start developing interest in some specific field, then you can master in subjects pertaining to that particular field.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Concentrate on mechanics and thermodynamics. these are the pillars of this branch.
    the others are design concepts, manufacturing technology and materials science.

in higher semesters give importance to machine dynamics, and finite element analysis.
  • jishnu nair
    jishnu nair
    heyyyy thanxxx a lot dude 😀😀😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    So, since this is something that a lot of people are searching for and coming to CrazyEngineers, I think we all should do our bit in making this discussion more useful and important.

Here is a list of the basic terms that every mechanical engineer should know. Anyone here wants to take a lead in explaining some of them?

You could just give out one liner simple definitions so that other beginners can benefit from this one-stop content.

1. Torque or Turning Force
    2. Couple
    3. Moment
    4. Stress
    5. Strain
    6. Spring
    7. Specific Weight
    8. Specific Volume
    9. Specific Gravity
    10. Specific Heat
    11. Viscosity
    12. Buoyancy
    13. Discharge of Fluid
    14. Bernoulli's Equation
    15. Device for Fluid
    16. Mach Number
    17. Hydraulic Machine
    18. Draft Tube
    19. Thermodynamics Law-
    zeroth law
    First law
    second law
    20. Entropy
    21. calorific value of fuel
    22. Boiler/Steam Generator
    23. Superheater
    24. Air Preheater
    25. Boiler Draught
    26. Nozzle
    27. Scavenging
    28. Supercharging
    29. Turbocharging
    30. Governor
    31. Flywheel
    32. Rating of fuel-
    S.I. engine
    C.I. engine
    33. Stoichiometric Mixture/ Stoichiometric Ratio
    34. Heat Transfer
    35. Thermal Conductivity
    36. Heat Exchanger
    37. Refrigeration
    38. 1 tonne Refrigeration
    39. Humidification
    40. Dehumidification
    41. Gear Train
    42. Gyroscopic Couple
    43. Heat Treatment
    44. Ferrous-Metal
    45. Non-ferrous metal
    46. Allowance
    47. Tolerance
    48. Clearance
    49. Stiffness
    50. Toughness
    51. Fatigue
    52. Nuclear Fission
    53. Nuclear Fussion
    54. Welding
    55. Machine Tool
    56. Cutting Tool
    57. Indexing
    58. Jig
    59. Fixture
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The list is too big. I will explain a few of them, at random, rest of them will be taken care by other mechies:

1.) Torque: It is a rotating force, which tends to rotate a body about an axis. it is expressed as the force multiplied by the distance between the force and the turning point.

3) Strain: the ratio of the deformation caused in the body, when the load is applied, to the original dimension.

19) second law of thermodynamics: The efficiency of no machine is cent percent.

55) machine tool: machines used for manufacturing components, by means of material removal process example : lathe, milling, shaper,etc.

56) cutting tool: the tools used in the machine tools . example: drill bits, milling cutter etc.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    more:

44) ferrous metal: alloys of iron and steel

45) non ferrous metal: example: aluminum, copper etc.

58) jig: a stencil or pattern like device, used for speeding up the process while cutting holes, or other features, on a large number of jobs (amounting to around 1 lakh pieces)

30) governor: a mechanical speed controlling device, operating on the principle of centrifugal force.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    27) scavenging : the process of removal of the residual exhaust gas in an I.C engine cylinder, by mixing it with some fresh intake air.

28) supercharging: the process of increasing the volumetric efficiency of an I.C engine, by compressing the intake air. the compressor used here is crankshaft driven.

29) Turbocharging: same as supercharging. here the compressor is driven by a gas turbine, which in turn is powered by the exhaust gas from the engine.
  • spiceluvver
    spiceluvver
    23. Superheater - it's function is to heat the steam and to make it as dry as possible
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That's great #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# Please let us complete the list folks. 😀
  • spiceluvver
    spiceluvver
    20. Entropy-
    The second law of thermodynamics gives a precise definition of a property called entropy. Entropy can be thought of as a measure of how close a system is to equilibrium; it can also be thought of as a measure of the disorder in the system. The law states that the entropy—that is, the disorder—of an isolated system can never decrease. Thus, when an isolated system achieves a configuration of maximum entropy, it can no longer undergo change: It has reached equilibrium. Nature, then, seems to “prefer” disorder or chaos. It can be shown that the second law stipulates that, in the absence of work, heat cannot be transferred from a region at a lower temperature to one at a higher temperature.
  • spiceluvver
    spiceluvver
    36. Heat Exchanger

Heat exchange is a natural phenomenon occurring throughout our environment. It drives the weather cycles and energy exchange between ecosystems. Harnessing its utility through accurate control of heat exchange has been a focus of our industry for over a century.

Heat exchangers allow control over the dynamics of heat transfer between fluids. They are used in widespread applications, such as solar heating, pool heating, domestic water heating, radiant floor heating, food processing, marine applications, general industrial process control, and more

Below are parametric thermodynamic equations that define the nature of heat exchange and performance of a heat exchanger for any given application. Once these thermal parameters are determined they can be used to calculate heat exchanger performance in order to select the most suitable product based on the specific application.

Theoretical Heat of a Fluid

The heat transfer principal in heat exchangers is based on a colder fluid gaining heat from a relatively hotter fluid separated by, and flowing over, a heat conductive material.
    This is expressed by the following formula:

[​IMG] (eqn 1)

Q = Total heat load
    m = Mass flow rate of fluid.
    cp = Specific heat of fluid at constant pressure.
    DT = Change in temperature of the fluid.

This formula provides the Theoretical Heat Yield to or from a given fluid undergoing a temperature change, DT at a mass flow rate, m with the fluid’s specific heat property, cp.

Practical Heat Transfer Control

The theoretical heat yield of a fluid gives the amount of heat that needs to be transferred into or from a fluid. The practical heat transfer is a function of the physical geometry of the heat exchanger, its material composition, and the fluid condition.

The general form of the equation defining the maximum potential heat transfer through a heat exchanger is expressed by the formula:

[​IMG] (eqn 2)

U
    = Overall heat transfer coefficient
    A = Surface area
    LMTD = Logarithmic mean temperature difference

The Practical Heat Transfer Control is determined by the molecular thermodynamic interactions between the fluids flowing through the heat exchanger and the geometry of the heat exchanger itself.
    The overall U value is calculated by an equation specific to the geometric configuration of a Heat Exchanger. It is a function derived using dimensionless numbers such as Reynolds Number (Re), Prandlt Number (Pr), along with fluid flow parameters. The overall U value is calculated over the total surface area A of the heat exchanger, across which the fluids exchange heat.

The log mean difference of the inlet and outlet temperatures (LMTD) of the hot and cold fluids for a counter flow exchanger is expressed by the formula:

[​IMG] (eqn 3)

Thi
    = Inlet temperature of hot fluid
    Tco = Outlet temperature of cold fluid
    Tho = Outlet temperature of hot fluid
    Tci = Inlet temperature of cold fluid

Practical
    heat exchange value, Qp, can be compared to the theoretical, Qt, value to determine if the heat Exchanger has enough capacity to fulfill the application requirements.
  • spiceluvver
    spiceluvver
    30. Governor
    A governor, or speed limiter, is a Machine used to measure and regulate the Speed - Wikipedia of a Machine, such as an Engine. A classic example is the Centrifugal Governor, also known as the James Watt or fly-ball governor, which uses weights mounted on spring-loaded arms to determine how fast a shaft is spinning, and then uses Proportional Control to regulate the shaft speed.

some more info

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • spiceluvver
    spiceluvver
    22. Boiler/Steam Generat
  • Hemraj Bijarniya
    Hemraj Bijarniya
    Focus on thermodynamic & machine tools rules of motion 😀
    Etc ...
  • Ajithkumar K
    Ajithkumar K
    Hi,
    I am Ajith, I have doubt in shell tube heat exchanger that is if we introduce a fin on the walls of tube can the heat transfer rate be increased
  • vamsidhar lingamdinne
    vamsidhar lingamdinne

Mechanical important topic

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# Did you go through all the topics shared above in the discussion? Are you looking for something specific?

• Bala Venkat
    Bala Venkat

Such important topics for mechanical engineering can be useful for cracking an interview or viva for students.

Here goes my list -

1. Carnot Cycle, Otto Cycle, and Diesel Cycle
    2. MPFI and TPFC systems
    3. Laws of Thermodynamics
    4. 4-stroke and 2-stroke engine mechanisms.
    5. SI and CI engines
    6. Turbo charging Vs. Supercharging
    7. Jet Propulsion, Ramjet, Scramjet, Turbojet, Turboprop, and Turbo fan
    8. Refrigerator system
    9. Heat Exchangers
    10. Stephan-Boltzmann Laws, Kirchoff's Law, Planck's Law and Wien's Displacement Law.
    11. CDI, ball pistons, camless engines like GDI, VTEC
    12. ABS, ESP, SBC, SOHC, and DOHC explanations
    13. CNC and DNC machines
    14. Cooling fluids and their functions
    15. Heat treatment processes
    16. Hook's law
    17. Euler's theory
    18. Bernoulli's theorem
    19. Six Sigma
    20. Basics of thermodynamics

After I started writing this list, I think I realised that the topics are way too many to list. Good job by @zaveri in listing above definitions. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

heyy all!! m a crazy engineer full of energy and enthusiasm.
scr can turn 'on' by applying dc...can it also turn on by applying ac source???
Fiat 500L mini-MPV has come up with a new idea of in-built coffee machine. The coffee maker is placed above a heating element between the front seats. Water within the...
Hello engineers. i was wondering if anyone coud help me out with the application of Coanda effect in designing of hovercrafts. i've read that it is used but how ?

hi

HI, i am a engineering student, department of electrical and electronics engineering