Mini-Big Bangs created....

* Scientists collide particles at highest energy ever

* Success hailed as huge step in understanding universe

* Mysterious dark matter, new dimensions may be found

By Robert Evans

GENEVA, March 30 (Reuters) - Physicists smashed sub-atomic particles into each other with record energy on Tuesday, creating thousands of mini-Big Bangs like the primeval explosion that gave birth to the universe 13.7 billion years ago.

Scientists and engineers in control rooms across the sprawling European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN) near Geneva burst into applause as the $9.4 billion project to probe the origins of the cosmos scored its first big success.

"This opens the door to a totally new era of discovery," said CERN's director of research Sergio Bertolucci. "It is a step into the unknown where we will find things we thought were there and perhaps things we didn't know existed."

"It just shows what we can do in pushing knowledge forward on where we came from, how the early universe evolved," CERN Director-General Rolf Heuer said, speaking, like Bertolucci, on a video relay from Tokyo.

Colourful images of the collisions, at the centre of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) project which will continue for over a decade, were flashed onto screens across CERN.

CERN scientists say the images reflect what happened a fraction of a second after the Big Bang as matter and energy was spewed out, leading to the formation of galaxies stars and planets, and eventually the appearance of life.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    this is good, but one thing what always mystified me was: how life begun-. Most of the documentaries state the same facts, but the basic question of begun of life ( not evolution) puzzles me
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    can mod please delete this post. dunno what happened. there was some problem i guess for this double posting
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    its a good scientific development that took place yesterday.

@durga
    Bible speaks about God and how it created Adam from dust and since he was bored, he created Eve out of one of his ribs(Men have 13 and 14 ribs in their rib cage while women have 14 on each sideπŸ˜›).

What do you thing about that?
    Its not about believing or not believing in Holy scriptures but how does one explain(or not explain) all these scientifically?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    * completely out of context*
    I watch documentaries and in one such documentary - Jesus family Ossuaries were found in Jerusalem, Not sure of Adam and Eve concept as other religions too claim there own start of life, but scientifically - I don't remember seeing anything. May be my perception it self is wrong- but there should have been something before single celled organisms evolved right? ow did they evolve?
    Any one has any details -do let us know.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    well. I do not think that there was any life prior to the unicellular organisms. they evolved and eventually the entire scenario changed. different religions say different things. am unaware of others but Bible says God started human life with Adam followed by Eve . but science says man slowly evolved from apes over time. So how does Adam and Eve come into picture? the question you ask is a difficult one for sure. it is similar to what is outside the universe(heaven?)? or what was the condition before big bang? difficult to answer questions and scientists are trying their best to solve these mysteries. The Big bang experiment will give scientists a lot of data. They wont be able to ascertain much about what happened before BB but they may be able to guess what happened after that. Hopefully your question of life's beginnings will get answered soon πŸ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    😁 , my perception of religious books and principles are different, so I would prefer to stay away from religious discussions.Yes, single cell evolved first, that was some millions of years go and they evolved into heavily complex forms eg: humans and this would have for sure followed the evolution path . By the way, scientists have reasoned out the 10 plagues which broke in Egypt ( again information from News paper ).

Good that they conducted the experiment- but what was the expected outcome?? what will it unreveal?
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    by the way , would like to share one information about this big bang theory.
    I just happened to be present at IITB Techfest this year and at one of the stalls were some guys from some Govt. organisation(dont remember the name now) from Orissa who were working on this LHC project.
    What that guy said was that an outcome of this experiment, several petabytes of data is generated every second. So its a big challenge to tap this data and STORE so much of data with them. This group's job was to efficiently manage the storage of these large volumes of data. Google processes over 24 petabytes of data everyday (Petabyte) but that is generated over a period of 24 hrs. In this case, its several petabytes of data per sec, so that is definitely a difficult jobs. These guys used cloud storage methods coupled with some advanced tech and managed this thing.

Its odd thinking that an Indian org got this job over cloud heavyweights such as Google and Amazon.

My interest in mentioning this fact was to let others know about this incredible thing and the many unsung heroes in India like these people. Also this info could be useful for those doing paper presentation on cloud computing. πŸ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    petabytes? insane stuff. I guess Information Theory folks would love to try push the limits of Shannon's theorem somehow.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi guys............. out there i need your help.i am interested in building a micromouse.........i have made a small report on it..........but i am unable to find ..........like which is the...
I read somewhere that mobile towers consume 3-5 kw power depending upon the number of operators using them. Also, these towers consume over 530 million gallons of diesel every year...
i am trying to execute the program in linux(fedora),...............................its giving error --package com.gts.src.Logic does not exists and similarly for other .logic import packages...................................what should i do????????????πŸ˜”
The following image says it all. ...just to remind you that there are not short-cuts in life.
There's a friend of mine who is opening up a gaming cafe in Chiplun(MH). The thing is, someone else is investing full amount for the project and thus my friend...