Mindful Unitasking - Think like Sherlock Holmes

Multitasking usually ends up in mediocrity in many tasks. Sticking to one task with full attention a la Sherlock Holmes is a much better option says Konnikova, a doctoral candidate in Psychology at Columbia University in her book “Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes”.

You can listen to her here:
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I found this very interesting because I realized the truth of what Konnikova is saying through my own experience. I noticed it at university level. There were always students who seemed to be working all the time and cramming work all the time. Their final exam results showed that they were only average, whereas there were those who seemed to be easy going most of the time and they were the best in the class.
    I believe stress inhibits the mind and its creativity. I also believe it is important to rest well before an exam. Sometimes we may be studying so much we become stressed out and the brain's functionality plummets. When you feel tired it is ok to stop and rest. Some people can study for longer periods than others. You just need to plan carefully.
    3 pipe problem, hehe I like that.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update by Edie Zusman MD, a neurosurgeon mailed by friend Asif Adheni:

Nowadays, we've been talking about technology overload. Continuing the discussion, we spoke with Edie Zusman, MD opens new window, a neurosurgeon with Eden Medical Center, about how multi-tasking impacts our brains. Dr. Zusman has written about the impact of technology overload on physicians in the Journal of Neurosurgery.
    Our opportunities for multi-tasking – and being interrupted – have grown greatly over the last few years. The phone that used to sit on the kitchen wall is now in our pocket or purse, so we can be called anywhere. But it’s not just a phone, it’s a mini-computer itself, so all the new technology distractions are always with us.
    Is this a good thing? Most would give a resounding “Yes!” to that question. What’s wrong with information and entertainment at your fingertips? Who wouldn’t want easy communication with anyone, anywhere? But can our brains can handle the sheer amount of input coming our way?

Are there disadvantages to using multiple technology gadgets at the same time?
    Dr. Zusman says: Multi-tasking can be a wonderful thing. Any parent learns to be a multi-tasking genius. So knowing how to divide our attention is not necessarily a bad thing.
    The problem arises when you are focused on a single, important task. Let’s say you are a student studying for a test, or at work, engaged in a crucial project. An e-mail flashes in front of your eyes, or a text message “bings” on your cell phone. Two things happen:
    • You turn your attention away from the main task. Even if your distraction is only 15 seconds, it may take your brain 2-3 minutes to fully return your attention to the primary task. Therefore, your study session or project will take longer than anticipated.
    • Many neurologists also believe that with frequent interruptions, it may be harder for you to convert the information you are studying into intermediate and long term memory. You may not “own” that information in your long-term memory in the way you had hoped.
    Are younger people better at this, since they grew up using their brains in this manner?
    Yes, young people who grew up with these devices are better at multi-tasking with them. They are surprisingly good at processing this incoming information. However, the basic points above still apply to them: multi-tasking during an important period of learning will make students less efficient at the primary task. It’s fine for socializing, but not an ideal way to learn or work on something important.
    What about older people? Is this “technology overload” more difficult for the older brain to process?
    I have not seen hard science on this particular topic. But in my practice, I do know that older people often have a harder time rapidly changing topics. So the advice about shutting off distractions during important work is great advice for older folks, especially.
    Having said that, it is true that active stimulation of the brain is wonderful as we age. So learning new technologies such as computers and cell phones, exploring new topics, and staying connected with people are all good ideas for the aging brain.
    Bottom line?
    Dr. Zusman says: When it’s time to focus, turn off the distracting devices. Return to them when you are done with your studying, project or intense conversation. All the information will still be waiting for you.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Uni-tasking is very important when the job demands quality. Multi-tasking saves time when it comes to doing the 'mechanical' things. For example, I'm writing this post while there's an important update I'm rolling out on the server and sipping coffee in between.

But when I'm doing my morning Yoga, I've no option but to unitask it. 😨
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There have been many Shatawadhanis from Maharashtra and Andhra, who could do 100 different things at a time. One of them used to be in Shirsasana while doing this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: NASA chief Charles Bolden has advice on how to handle a large asteroid headed toward New York City: Pray. That's about all the United States - or anyone for...
NVIDIA, the GPU leader has launched industry's first NVIDIA GRID™ Visual Computing Appliance for Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems. The system is capable of running complex & graphics intensive...
Looks like the robotics enthusiasts love to take inspiration from animals. The latest amphibious robot mimics salamander - that it can swim in water and walk or crawl on land...
The title says it all. Please be very descriptive in answering the query. I wanna know everything about it. Everything !
Hello CEans, How to convert CGPA (10 Point Scale) to Percentage? Please help!