Microsoft To Cut Windows License Price By 70%

Reportedly, Microsoft is planning to cut the price of its much-awaited Windows 8.1 operating system by about 70% for makers of low-cost computers and tablets. Same report by Bloomberg claims that this is done to counter the products by its rivals like Google and Apple. Since the details are not yet made public, Bloomberg kept the sources anonymous.

For the products that cost less than $250, manufacturers would be paying $15 to license and preinstall Windows 8.1 update. Whereas usually manufacturers are charged $50 for the same purpose. Sources informed that this discount would be applicable to all Microsoft products in the limit of the said price. The reason for this is believed as its competitors-Apple and Google cut Microsoft’s revenue at devices and licensing division including Windows software.

Windows_8.1

Microsoft seems to be looking forward to accelerate growth and introduce new devices now under leadership of its new CEO Satya Nadella. The rumored licensing price cut may be a part of the plan. Microsoft may be planning to increase its share in PC market by providing incentives to PC makers. Comparing to Windows 7, sales of Windows 8 systems has been relatively slow since its launch 15 months ago. More than 240 million Windows 7 devices were sold in a year whereas about 200 million Windows 8 licenses are sold till now, as per data provided by Microsoft’s marketing head. It would now be interesting to see what this price cut would bring to Microsoft. Do share your thoughts on this in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Guile Williams
    Guile Williams
    It's time the reign of Microsoft come to an end.
  • lal
    lal
    Guile Williams
    It's time the reign of Microsoft come to an end.
    Haven't it, already? 😁
    Or atleast, the wind has started changing its direction.
  • Chaitanya Kukde
    Chaitanya Kukde
    @#-Link-Snipped-# I have to disagree with you buddy... I'd rather say that Microsoft will come to see better days
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's bit too early to predict anything about Microsoft. I've said multiple times - the desktop operating system will now exist only for the developers and in the large businesses - and that's where the real business of Windows lies. The mainstream user base, which used Windows to handle their music and videos has migrated to mobile phones and tablet computers. There's no going back.

However, Microsoft's desktop operating system will continue to be relevant and important at least for the next 5-8 years. Unfortunately, Google's already opened assault against them by launching Chrome OS.

I'm sure Satya Nadella knows the problem and might have already began working on it. Microsoft needs to re-invent some mechanism that gives people an easier, better and cooler platform to share photos and videos - because that's what everyone likes to do (it seems).

I personally want Microsoft to remain in the race; because monopoly is going to hurt everyone.

One thing I want Microsoft to succeed at any cost is the Internet Search. No one has been able to go beyond the regular 'text based' search. If Microsoft's engineers can crack that - Microsoft will secure its future for the next 20 years.
  • Lisa Hardin
    Lisa Hardin

I think it's time for them to rethink their prices.  The price cut is sure to gain them a lot more new customers and returned customers.  The already have a well known name so this was a great idea.  However, Apple customers are very loyal- I personally dont see them leaving or even buy this children. I don't think Google customers are as loyal and can see them  readily taking  advantage of these new prices. Actually cutting prices and knowing where your strenghs and weakness are is a good business strategy basically accept there are some things Google and Apple are going to do better and do your best to out price them. Times are hard and people like quality products.  Kudos to Microsoft for making this price cut. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Im from ECE...... Placed in Tech Mahindra as Associate Software Engineer.. 😀 😀 Need any suggestions or guidelines and which courses i have to learn?
A lot of engineers among us might be trying to go for MBA after their graduation in B.E. or B.Tech.If you face a personal interview for any MBA college, you...
Event: HEADSTART 2014 | Technical Fest Headstart 2014 is Organised by: Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh Headstart 2014 dates: Fest dates: 14th-15th March 2014 Details: The Wait...
I am using a windows 7 operated laptop and I am experiencinga bit of problem now. It somehow got to my laptop through my friend pendrive. I used usb disk...
With the madness for connectedness, we all are in a frenzy of knowing what everyone else whom we know from some place is doing these days. So, you happen to...