Microsoft Retires Windows 7 And 8 - Only Windows 10 Prevails

Microsoft in an official blog post on Friday declared to the shock of many around the world, that Windows 7 and 8.1 will not run on latest hardware. Though the older versions of Windows will run on older processors, the software updates will be limited to critical security issue fixes. However, enterprise clients get 18 month grace period to eventually migrate to Windows 10. Most part of the blog boasted of the early success of Windows 10 and the innovations made in collaboration with Silicon and Industry partners.

windows-10-prevails

According to Microsoft, Windows 10 adoption has already skyrocketed to 200 million active devices. This is the reason why they are so confident in naming Windows 10 as their next XP-like milestone. This change comes into effect with Intel’s 6th generation processors code-named Skylake. Both Microsoft and Intel had collaborated on this latest processor to leverage each other, and the results are impressive. Opposite to Windows 7 computers, Skylake and Windows 10 together would provide 30x better graphics and 3x better battery life.

Industry partners like Dell, HP and Lenovo are not tied to one chip manufacturer, so Microsoft would definitely want the same success with other chips like AMD, Qualcomm and NVidia. That means, very soon, none of the latest processors will support Windows 7 and 8.1. All Windows operating systems get 10 years of support, and honoring that, Microsoft has promised security and stability updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 till January 2020 and 2023 respectively.

Microsoft might get away after surprising home users with an update like this, but the enterprise clients will not be forgiving. Microsoft knows that, and has exempted many Skylake devices so that they temporarily support Windows 7 and 8.1 as well. Organizations have till July 17th 2017 to switch to Windows 10. This benefit is only for Intel’s Skylake processors. Upcoming processors like Intel’s Kaby Lake, Qualcomm’s 8966 and AMD’s Bristol Ridge will not share this compassion, and will support only Windows 10.

Source: Windows 10 Embracing Silicon Innovation | Windows Experience Blog

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Typography Day is being organized for the ninth time from 25th to 27th February 2016 at Srishti Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Bangalore in collaboration with the Industrial...
Though much has been said and written about Microsoft’s HoloLens, some specifications about it have been revealed for the first time at an event in Tel Aviv. In a nutshell,...
Holding a MCA degree from Nagpur University, Jayanti Kathale came to Bangalore in 2004 to work for Bristlecone. Always in pursuit of implementing her business ideas, Jayanti started selling home...
Hello, I have done my bachelor degree in engineering. Now I feel need MS degree also. Currently i'm xyz MNC. I want to continue with job and completed my Degree...
What is UTF-8?