Microsoft Research’s Code Hunt Online Game Makes Coding More Fun Than Ever

Microsoft’s research division has launched a new game that makes Java and C# coding more fun and addictive than ever. The online browser based game called Code Hunt asks players to find out the secret solution of a piece of code by presenting a few test cases that show the functional behaviour of the code. At the start of every level there is a fragment of code and two test cases, out of which presents the correct behaviour and the other presents the incorrect results. The player now has to alter the code on the left hand side to match the desired results. The best part of the game is that there are multiple solutions to the puzzle and more points are awarded for finding the optimum code. In the Code Hunt game your start off with the tutorial and go on to solve questions related to arithmetic, loops, conditionals, strings, nested loops, one dimensional arrays, jagged arrays, searching, sorting, ciphers and puzzles. Since the game is based on Microsoft Azure, you can keep track of your progress and see where you stand in the leader board.

Code Hunt 1

The game was developed by a team at Microsoft Research led by Nikolai Tillmann and Peli de Halleux. The game is based on Pex which is a Power Tool in Microsoft Visual Studio that performs dynamic symbolic execution. The Code Hunt made a debut at the Microsoft Research Asia’s Beauty of Programming event in China. Previously, at the Beauty of Programming event there is used to be a test suite and students were asked to solve the code as fast as possible. With the launch of Code Hunt the organisers did not have to pit the students against each other as it used a set of constantly changing test cases for every user. Students on an average could solve 55.7% of the puzzles and the best of them could arrive at a solution within 8 tries.

We would like to call out to all the programming minds on CE to head over to the #-Link-Snipped-# website and start playing the game and also do not forget to post your scores on the CE forum.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# via #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Woah...!! Would try out this for sure soon after my exams 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Whoa! Mind = Blown! Love the concept.
    Just gave it a try using first C# and Java. This is going to be super fun for beginners as well as advanced level programmers.
    I SO wish we can develop an app of this kind here on CE for all our programmer geek members. 😎

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans! First of all, a great site! So I was facing a problem and my friend suggested this site. I had a dream of becoming a commercial Pilot and...
code.py # A simple notebook application import code_util as util # defining a class available_bookclasses = ('private', 'public', 'none') class notebook: # Varibles book_name = '' book_class = available_bookclasses[2] item_name...
Renault unveiled its new 2015 Twingo and, amazingly, it’s rear-engine and rear-wheel drive (RWD). Moving the engine to the back, Renault says, has given the new Twingo “pleasantly agile handling”,...
Jaguar, the British multinational car manufacturer, has now taken the wraps off its upcoming sports sedan - Jaguar XE. We were excited in March to know about the car's basic...
Please take a minute to look at my PyPi module "util_random" Here is the link-: https://pypi.python.org/pypi?name=util_random&version=1.0.0.0&:action=display