Microsoft launches Windows phones

Mobiles sporting the latest release of the Windows Mobile operating system are now available for sale worldwide.
Microsoft is also formally launching its application store, known as Windows Marketplace for Mobile.

While the service will launch with about 60 applications available in the UK, Microsoft's Alex Reeve said that number will soon rise sharply. Windows run phones can also make use of the My Phone service, a synchronisation service managed "in the cloud".

More information: #-Link-Snipped-#

-CB

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    Hey! any idea what Network technology is On ?
    By the way any idea what differentiates MS phone from so many other higher end phones? I mean why will people buy them?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    With the new operating system, Microsoft hopes to make the case that the devices are not only worthy phones, but also the best option for those who want to take their Windows world with them. The operating system itself features Adobe Flash support, an improved browser, and menus that are easier to navigate with a finger, as opposed to a stylus. Perhaps more interesting are two new services that come along with Windows.

The first, the Windows Marketplace, is Microsoft's answer to the #-Link-Snipped-#'s App Store. It's somewhat interesting that Windows Mobile has long had more programs than the iPhone--none of which involved approval from Microsoft. But Microsoft has found itself in the position of having to insert itself as middleman to match Apple's approach.
    Users will still be able to buy and download applications directly from developers, but Microsoft apparently felt it had to mimic the iPhone's App Store in order to help connect less technically savvy users with the thousands of programs that already exist for its phones.

The second service, My Phone, has been #-Link-Snipped-#. Just debuting, though, is a paid "Find My Phone" feature that costs $5 per use (although you pay only when you need the service, unlike Apple's iPhone-finding service, which requires a $99-per-year MobileMe subscription). The service can be used to locate a missing phone, make it ring (even if it is set to vibrate) or even remotely lock or wipe the device.

The big question, though, is if any of these changes are enough to get Microsoft back into serious consideration in a smartphone market that not only includes the iPhone, but also devices running the Android, Palm WebOS, and BlackBerry operating systems.

Ref: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    durga
    Hey! any idea what Network technology is On ?
    By the way any idea what differentiates MS phone from so many other higher end phones? I mean why will people buy them?
    I think
    -familiarity of Windows software
    -mobile versions of Windows Live, Microsoft Office, Windows Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.
    -PC-like browser that comes with Adobe Flash Lite support for better rendering and can log onto secure Web sites, so users can bank online or connect to their corporate networks.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    mahesh_dahale
    I think
    -familiarity of Windows software
    -mobile versions of Windows Live, Microsoft Office, Windows Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.
    -PC-like browser that comes with Adobe Flash Lite support for better rendering and can log onto secure Web sites, so users can bank online or connect to their corporate networks.
    The first two points are correct. Synchronization and compatibility between the desktop version and mobile versions are very important. There are a lot of mobile applications that are based on the WM SDK.

Though, the third point isn't true. Flash is well supported by Palm and IPhones as well.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Microsoft Corp said on Monday that passwords belonging to some users of its Hotmail email service were exposed on an Internet site, but had since been taken down. The company...
I have started a thread "CrazyBoy's VBScripting luctures" for the basic concept of VBScripting. While practicing the VBScripting or anytime if you face problem in executing the VBScripting code, please...
If we talk about scripting languages, we can not forget to speak about VBScripting. VBScripting is Microsoft's Visual Basic Scripting Edition, the newest member of the Visual Basic family of...
OK. Frankly I slept during 'Saawariya' ,and so was the next movie and this time around the name itself says that guy out there is a lazy butt. He looks...
We all are tech savy people. Since our engineering days, we learned that, what should be the configuration of the computer and how much it will cost us. We learnt...