Micromax Canvas 4 - Quad Core Awesomeness @ Affordable Price

Micromax, the Indian mobile maker has officially announced 'Canvas 4' - the phone it's been teasing us with for long time now. The company's seems to be quite series about the ability of Canvas 4 to take on the Indian markets and has put up advertisements all over the media - from Internet to television. It even began accepting pre-orders of the phone on June 28th and promised to launch the phone on July 8. The company's announced that the price of Canvas 4 in India will be Rs. 17,999. But the enthusiasts didn't bother to wait for the official launch and it's learnt that the phone got almost 11,500 pre-orders. So, is Micromax 4 worthy of its price? Should you really choose this phone from an array of options available in the markets? Let's find out.

Let's start with the specs that matter. The Canvas 4 comes loaded with Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean out of the box. This candy-bar phone offers 12.7 cm (across) IPS screen which also has a 5 MP front-facing camera. The screen offers a resolution of 1280x720 pixels. The IPS technology is a new display technology which stands for In-Plane Switching and it solves the limitations of regular LCDs which have slower response times & lower-quality color reproduction. Micromax says the screen offers color depth of 16.7 million colors. With weight at just 158 grams, the phone is quite handy and the overall dimensions 144.5 x 73 x 8.9 mm should make it easier to carry in your pockets. The phone will boast two colors viz. grey and white.

Micromax-Canvas-4

Those who really care about the hardware may note that the Canvas 4's CPU is based on MT 6589 which operates at a frequency of 1.2 GHz. There's 1GB of memory (RAM) and 16 GB of internal storage capacity. The phone comes equipped with regular sensors including the light sensor, proximity sensor and G-sensor. The rear camera offers an impressive resolution of 13 MP and it's got flash as well. The camera offers variety of shooting modes including 6+ simultaneous face detection - which could be really handy when clicking group photos.

The phone is a quad-band phone - and it will work in almost anywhere in the world. The official does not list wireless specifications; but we'd guess it's 802.11 b/g/n. For in & out file transfers, you can connect the phone to your Mac or PC with USB 3.0 cable (micro USB, 5-pin). As you'd expect with most of the Micromax phones, this phone has Dual SIM support. Again, we'd expect that the dual-SIM support would be for GSM+GSM. The entire setup is powered by 2000mAh battery.

Our take: Looking at the specs, there are only two disappointing features. First absence of full HD display and second, a 2000 mAh battery. We think Micromax decided to lower on the display and battery specifications just to keep the price within check. Had this phone offered a full HD display; it'd have been a steal deal! Being android, we've not expect much of battery life and be prepared to keep plug this phone into power point almost every night.

The company seems to be quite excited about the launch of this phone. Rahul Sharma, co-founder of Micromax says that they're raising the bar for 'affordable innovation'. Deepak Mehrotra, the CEO of the company says that Micromax is currently #2 in the smartphone markets in India; with about 17.1% market share (Q1, 2013).

We've already talked about the phone through separate Canvas 4 is Coming Soon..... Let us know your thoughts on this phone and whether you think the price of the phone is justified. For the same price-tag, what do you think are the better options available in Indian markets?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you're looking to 'up' your budget by about Rs. 2000, the latest launch from Karbonn, called the Titanium S9 would be worth giving a try. Check out our coverage of Titanium S9: Karbonn Titanium S9 Price In India Is Rs. 19,990. Worth The Price?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I wont call this awesomeness. I am actually appointed. Frankly speaking I was expecting an octa-core phone. Quad-core processor is not a big deal now-a-days. Though 5 MP does add a little to the hype.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    A very nice gadget at 18K, you can't expect 1080p at this rate. The Processor Mediatek MT6589 is quad-core processor with 1.2 GHz clock frequency which sounds very good to me.
    I would prefer AMOLED over IPS, however it will chunk juice more in AMOLED. But hell to battery life, AMOLED over IPS,anyday. AMOLED screen looks more vibrant.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    I wont call this awesomeness. I am actually appointed. Frankly speaking I was expecting an octa-core phone. Quad-core processor is not a big deal now-a-days. Though 5 MP does add a little to the hype.
    Samsung's Exynos 5 has octa-core, but 4 cores works in low clock frequency while other four at high clock frequency. So, whenever you do high processing in your gadget it will trigger to higher clock frequency cores & when you're not performing any task it will switch to low clock frequency cores.This is nothing but quad cores only.
    It just can simply save your juice.Nothing else. Don't know about other octa-cores processors though.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Abhishek Rawal
    Samsung's Exynos 5 has octa-core, but 4 cores works in low clock frequency while other four at high clock frequency. So, whenever you do high processing in your gadget it will trigger to higher clock frequency cores & when you're not performing any task it will switch to low clock frequency cores.This is nothing but quad cores only.
    It just can simply save your juice.Nothing else. Don't know about other octa-cores processors though.
    I am not saying it's a bad config or something. I am just saying it isn't up to the hype. Except the camera (or may be USB 3.0), every other spec is common. And at this price it indeed is a good gadget. Check xolo q1000:

XOLO Q1000 - Full phone specifications

It costs less, lacks above two features, and has a 2100mAh battery.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    I am not saying it's a bad config or something. I am just saying it isn't up to the hype. Except the camera (or may be USB 3.0), every other spec is common. And at this price it indeed is a good gadget. Check xolo q1000:

XOLO Q1000 - Full phone specifications

It costs less, lacks above two features, and has a 2100mAh battery.
    But, it uses Intel's Atom & not ARM, so not worth the price.
    If it would be Intel's Clovertrail Outperforming ARM Based Processors By Samsung,Nvidia & Qualcomm. then it would be different story.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Abhishek Rawal
    But, it uses Intel's Atom & not ARM, so not worth the price.
    If it would be Intel's Clovertrail Outperforming ARM Based Processors By Samsung,Nvidia & Qualcomm. then it would be different story.
    Okay, first of all I dont think this one has intel processor! And again, I wont waste 4000 bucks extra just for camera.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    I wont waste 4000 bucks extra just for camera.
    Me too, man!

Pensu
    Okay, first of all I dont think this one has intel processor!
    As far as i know, XOLO is the brand of lava which markets Intel phones under name "XOLO". I have seen X500, X910 & X100 : all of 'em had Intel processors.
    So by default, I think this model uses intel architecture only, I assume so ; but I might be wrong though 👀
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It may give an tight competition to karbon titanium because of it's price tag . The positives that attracts me is front camera which increases the videoconferencing quality&6 people smile detection feature.
    Drawback:battery, nothing other than that.What can you expect more at a pricetag of 18k.
    I wish Micromax to compete higher end models but stay low at price.
    I dont want to spend extra bucks just for brand name.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Abhishek Rawal
    Me too, man!

As far as i know, XOLO is the brand of lava which markets Intel phones under name "XOLO". I have seen X500, X910 & X100 : all of 'em had Intel processors.
    So by default, I think this model uses intel architecture only, I assume so ; but I might be wrong though 👀
    Yeah, actually xolo introduced the intel processor in the market. But it's limited to X series only. Other series dont use intel. Though I read somewhere they are planning a phone with clovertrail too. 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    How about this:
    iBerry Auxus Nuclea N1: 5"/1080p/MT6589T Quad core Turbo 1.5 GHz processor @ 16K some website claiming 18K

[​IMG]

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want some idea about project what i have looked for is video stenography my programming is not that much good.Can anyone give any idea about it is it a...
The name is 'GRE Words Eliminator'. I just thought of this project idea that could be really interesting. Many times, we come across a nice article that's written in heavy-English;...
It's nothing new that, with every passing months we see new technology related to the Mobile screens is emerging.When it comes to the innovation in the screen technologies, Corning Gorilla...
Tami Reller, Windows CMO & CFO took the stage at the Microsoft's annual Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) in Houston, Texas and announced that Windows 8.1 will be shipped to the...
You would be surprise to hear this news that Ashok Leyland is making its entry in a segment where it had been never before. Yes Ashok leyland have planned to...