Microcontroller based ignition switch...possible?

Idea is to replace the mechanical key and ignition switch in an automobile, with a memory device and a microcontroller.
Like if we store a code number in a memory device like PROM, and make the microcontroller interface with this memory, read the code number,and only if its the correct code the ignition circuit is complete.
Is such a system possible??
Is it possible to interface a microcontroller with a prom?
Am a total electronics noob , so need some help..

Replies

• Scorpion007
    Scorpion007
    I m posting a link may be it is helpful to u
    PDF
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Thank you #-Link-Snipped-# .Now I have a basic idea about a microcontroller, but still there is too much electronics for me to understand.

#-Link-Snipped-#, could you please help me...

#-Link-Snipped-# , need some help please...

#-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# ,what do you think guys?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    What kind of help you want ? Let us know where you have problem. If you have tried to implement this project then please show us your work that will attract more replies.

I am sure you have gone through the link given by #-Link-Snipped-#
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    I want to know if such a system possible?
    I don't know the basic stuff in electronics,i just had the idea, so before i go neck deep into studying about microcontrollers , I/O ports,PCBs , i want to know if it is even possible?
    I hope my idea is clear to you #-Link-Snipped-#, it is to replace the key and ignition switch (keyhole) in your car with a memory device as key and a pcb as keyhole.I have not yet started working on this , I want to do this as my final year project.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    white_hat
    I want to know if such a system possible?
    I don't know the basic stuff in electronics,i just had the idea, so before i go neck deep into studying about microcontrollers , I/O ports,PCBs , i want to know if it is even possible?
    I hope my idea is clear to you #-Link-Snipped-#, it is to replace the key and ignition switch (keyhole) in your car with a memory device as key and a pcb as keyhole.I have not yet started working on this , I want to do this as my final year project.
    Yes, its totally possible. The key when turned ON, completes the circuit. All what you require now is a power transistor (to sustain bigger current). You could do it directly with uC but it won't be able to source/sink that much current so instead you can use a power transistor or mosfet in the switching path & control the mosfet using uC.

I've made a raw diagram to illustrate.

[​IMG]

Now I am not much familiar with the type of electronics used in automobiles, but that should give you an overall idea how it can be done. All we need is an automatic switching circuitry.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Thank you #-Link-Snipped-#. I will start working on this project ASAP.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    white_hat
    Thank you #-Link-Snipped-#. I will start working on this project ASAP.
    Only information you need here is the operating voltage and current then choose a proper power-mosfet for the purpose. A small uC like At-tiny45 (8 pin uC) would be sufficient for your needs.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# as said by #-Link-Snipped-# it is possible and as per raw circuit diagram you can see that you just have to control ignition using microcontroller instead of simple key.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dentists make money by fixing your unhealthy gums and teeth. If, as advertised, the toothpaste keeps your teeth & gums healthy; dentists will go out of business. It's unlikely that...
Landscaping has always occupied the human minds since ages and we must have seen how people maintain beautifully the natural landscape around them to give it an aesthetic appeal. The...
can someone plz tell me as to how the ip messenger catches or recognizes the host name of all active users and how does it retrieve the ip address of...
It's quite obvious now that Apple's not Steve Jobs' Apple anymore. It's taken over by Tim Cook and whether that's good or bad for the company will be clear in...
How to calculate inrush current? And what is the maximum limit of inrush current?