Menthal app on Android tells you how hopelessly addicted you are to your smartphone

Menthal is the name of a new app on Android that lets the user keep a track on his or her usage of the smartphone. Developed by a team of researchers from the University of Bonn, Menthal app has come to life as a result of the hard work of the group of computer scientists and psychologists headed by assistant professor Alexander Markowetz, who believe that integrating technology with science can help us understand human behavior. So, what does Menthal app really do? Well, it gives you feedback on how much time you spend on your phone and which apps do you use the most. This makes you understand and analyze your digital life and in-turn let's you take decisions based on it.

Menthal app has been designed to track the full range of interaction between you and your phone. It will sit on your phone and run in the background all the while recording data about every time you unlock your phone, every time you start an app, and every time you receive a call. This data is sent to the data vault once a day. User of the app can then browse this aggregated information, and interpret it in the context of his or her lifestyle. This data just goes to say how badly you are addicted to your smartphone.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 11.03.09 AM

The research work done by the team till now suggests that popular social messaging app WhatsApp contributed to about 15%, Games about 13% and Facebook about 9% of the time. The team is working on finding out "How much is Too much?" for smartphone usage. Take a look at the promotional video about Menthal app -

If you have a phone running Android 4.0 or above, you can download Menthal app on Google Play Store for free. Here is the Menthal - Apps on Google Play. How do you like the idea of having an app telling you to get off from the phone and face real people? Share with us in comments below.​

Replies

• Basil John
    Basil John
    This is Good.Awesome App !!
  • sumitshrm45
    sumitshrm45
    Something different ... LIke IT 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what are the general electrical faults occurs in steel plants? If the process done by electrical arc furnace and secondly ladle refining furnace.
Here's a small exercise for your brains. Superconductors have been the holy grail for most of the researchers because of its potential to change our lives. This discussion is dedicated...
Hello friends, my name is Shyam and I did my bachelors in Computer Science from Ruparel college back in 2004. So yes, I am not an engineer though I hope...
While the existing 3D printers find their raw materials in plastic and rubber, the recently announced Mark One 3D chews a tougher bread- carbon fiber. Designed by Gregory Mark, this...
Hi Everyone. I am quite curious with digital isolators. I have read that these parts are being tested at a high voltage (kV) to ensure the durability and quality of...