Memory Query

I am stuck in computer memory again:sshhh:,
I don't know why this topic keeps bothering me!😒

Ok,so coming to the doubt-

When we switch on the computer,the OS gets loaded in RAM,😕(right?)
OS memory is more than 256 mb RAM,so it must be taking use of some virtual memory😕(right?),
now what we are left with is only virtual memory,so do our programs use the virtual memory and not the RAM?

Correct me and please clear the doubt!

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    The processes which are running(currently) that's files are loaded into ram.
    If you do more multitasking the ram was full with processes files and then ram need some extra memory to load the processes files.
    So the extra memory that is taken from HDD to load the processes files when the ram is full known as virtual memory.
    Remember that processes doesn't execute in ram.Processes are executed in processors.And you know 90% to 95% of data are fetched from catch memory.
    When your ram is in overflow condition it will send only that files to the virtual memory that is not in use(currently).
    Same as happen between catch and ram it will send only those data to ram that are not in use(currently).
    hope you got the answer....!
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    Well i think there are lots of procedures to be followed during the operating System loading. I mean to say that sequentially all the files and programs get loaded into the RAM and get executed and the if currently executed program get execute in the RAM then it left some space in RAM for next instruction/program to read. So Loading OS is a step by step process.When computer is switched ON first the program which is stored in ROM is loaded then the role of BootLoader comes into play which loads the files/small programs/instructions sequentially into RAM and get executed . I m not sure whether it is using virtual memory during loading OS or not.
    It is just that to load OS , one by one its files are loaded and get executed in RAM.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    mohit007kumar00
    The processes which are running(currently) that's files are loaded into ram.
    If you do more multitasking the ram was full with processes files and then ram need some extra memory to load the processes files.
    So the extra memory that is taken from HDD to load the processes files when the ram is full known as virtual memory.
    Remember that processes doesn't execute in ram.Processes are executed in processors.And you know 90% to 95% of data are fetched from catch memory.
    When your ram is in overflow condition it will send only that files to the virtual memory that is not in use(currently).
    Same as happen between catch and ram it will send only those data to ram that are not in use(currently).
    hope you got the answer....!
    So,only the necessary executable files of OS goes into RAM,other files remain in HDD?
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    sushant005
    Well i think there are lots of procedures to be followed during the operating System loading. I mean to say that sequentially all the files and programs get loaded into the RAM and get executed and the if currently executed program get execute in the RAM then it left some space in RAM for next instruction/program to read. So Loading OS is a step by step process.When computer is switched ON first the program which is stored in ROM is loaded then the role of BootLoader comes into play which loads the files/small programs/instructions sequentially into RAM and get executed . I m not sure whether it is using virtual memory during loading OS or not.
    It is just that to load OS , one by one its files are loaded and get executed in RAM.
    I got what you said,does that mean only the executable files of OS goes into RAM,and there is still space for our application programs,right?
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Whats In Name
    So,only the necessary executable files of OS goes into RAM,other files remain in HDD?
    yes only the necessary executable files are loaded into the RAM.

@sus a mistake is there I think execution is done in processor not in RAM.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    mohit007kumar00
    yes only the necessary executable files are loaded into the RAM.
    Ok,I got it.Thanks alot!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, As I said earlier, we're planning to launch a video contest for all our CEans. We've been evaluating few ideas and decided to share them with you and pick...
Recently when I appeared for one of the management entrance exams, I found two very interesting questions in the logical reasoning section. I could only answer one of them, and...
Wipro working in th field of Super Computer for past three year and developing the fastest IndianSuper Computer for ISRO and will become the India's fastest Super Computer for the...
can someone please elaborate about marshalling box in a transformer? it is having RTD(or thermocouples) for measurement of oil and winding temperatue only or something else also?
1. Building a Multiple-Criteria Negotiation Support System 2. An Exploratory Study of Database Integration Processes 3. COFI approach for Mining Frequent Item sets 4. Online Random Shuffling of Large Database...