memory in pen drive

The actual data that can be stored in a pen drive is actually less than that specified,as in if a pen drive is of 2gb ,it has the storage capacity of 1.90gb.
For what is the remaining space used?
Is it for FAT?Can anyone please specify the exact reason..

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Lets do some calculations,

We all know that,
    1 GB = 1024 MB ----------(1)

But the manufacturers round it off to 1 GB = 1000 MB
    So, 2 GB = 2000 MB (according to them).

Our operating system calculates memory according to (1).
    So, 2000 MB divided by 1024 MB = 1.95 GB

Thus the OS shows us 1.95 GB.

Hope you get it now.
  • techworm
    techworm
    Thanks for the information.Does that mean ,the actual memory is 2gb but is specified as 1.95gb?
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    techworm
    Thanks for the information.Does that mean ,the actual memory is 2gb but is specified as 1.95gb?
    No, the actual memory isn't 2.0 GB. Its just a rounded off value that manufacturers print.
  • techworm
    techworm
    oh... got it now....completely

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please tell me the way of conversion detail, from source code to object code of a programme.:wink: please give me detailed information about this topic.:wink:
I am studying Electrical Btech 2nd year from IIT-R, India. Please suggest me a good book for DC machines. Fitzgerald had just 1 chapter on it which is unable to...
You may have heard of the Connection Machine. This was/is a massively parallel system in which the processors communicate with each other via a comms net, which has a hypercube...
please help me...... need ko ng thesis title or topics na may prototype..... about computer engineering... please...... .😕
if we apply 15V VCC to the 741 op-amp, the maximum swing at the output is 13.5v ...where 1.5volt gone......why and how this happens....>>>??/ plz help.....