Mechanics:- Way to calculate the thrust

A three blade fan is being fixed to a electric motor held in the horizontal plane.The motor is being rotated with some angular velocity.The fan is being fixed in such a way that it throws the air downwards.Suggest me the way to calculate the thrust experienced by the system.assume the parameters required.

Replies

• skstheking
    skstheking
    what is mean about thrust????
  • harsh15
    harsh15
    See a the air is pushed downwards ,according to Newton's third law the fan will be experiencing a reaction force in the upward direction.This is reaction force i m referring as a thrust.
    And as the action and reaction forces are equal and opposite calculate the force with which the air is pushed downward?
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    Thrust is a reaction force described quantitatively by Newton's Second and Third Laws. When a system expels or accelerates mass in one direction the accelerated mass will cause a proportional but opposite force on that system.

T=(dm/dt).V

where:
    T is the thrust generated (force)
    (dm/dt) is the rate of change of mass with respect to time i.e (mass flow rate of exhaust)
    v is the exhaust velocity.

This thrust formula used to calculate the motorboat/rocket thrust. And same you can use for a fan also as a motorboat generates thrust (or reverse thrust) when the propellers are turned to accelerate water backwards (or forwards). The resulting thrust pushes the boat in the opposite direction to the sum of the momentum change in the water flowing through the propeller, and in a rocket mass is propelled forward by thrust force only, which is equal and opposite to the exaust mass from combustion chamber.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The explaination about Thrust is very well given Rakesh, well explained buddy.
    The design of the fan actually needs the relation between the angular velocity or rpm of the fan and the air it can push or draw along with the blades. This includes the size, width, thickness and profile of the blades essentially. What Harsh requires is the formula for calculating the relation betwen fan rpm and thrust produced. This can be easily obtained from any basic book of fan design where everything will be explained in detail.
    So best of luck Harsh!! Happy designing;-)
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    Rohan_sK
    The explaination about Thrust is very well given Rakesh, well explained buddy.
    The design of the fan actually needs the relation between the angular velocity or rpm of the fan and the air it can push or draw along with the blades. This includes the size, width, thickness and profile of the blades essentially. What Harsh requires is the formula for calculating the relation betwen fan rpm and thrust produced. This can be easily obtained from any basic book of fan design where everything will be explained in detail.
    So best of luck Harsh!! Happy designing;-)
    Yes Rohan_sK you are right, but air and water both are fluids.
    and if you know mass flow rate and velocity as per your requirement you will get to know thrust. why to design whole fan or blade, if you know your requirements that's it...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

That's according to Jacques Sprenger at The Digerati Life, who posts a treatise on haggling garnered from years of getting lower prices, and watching others fail at it. You may...
PHP+mysql or java+oracle: Suggestion needed ? SIR, i am student of second year engneering.just one month from now i am going to have my summer vacations. i wanted to do...
Is it possible to modify BIOS settings through a C program? im asking this because if i want my PC to boot automatically at a specific time (like a reminder...
Hello , i am searching for some updated information about instrumentation and control engineering. can anyone could refer me some website and books?
I'm doing an assignment on boilers and I chose the Aalborg Mission OC boiler. Our library doesnt have anough manuals, so i have to resort to CE> Can I have...