Mechanics Behind Toothpaste

I was brushing my teeth this morning. And while I was applying toothpaste on my brush i observed the motion of paste. It was centrefilled and I wondered how exactly it maintains its shape even after being muddled from between. When i was a kid, i thought toothpaste have pipes inside its body. obviously its not the reason. I remembered one topic that I studied in my 2nd year- BINGHAM PLASTIC nature of certain liquids. Toothpaste was one of the example which was a non-newtonian fluid and comes under the parameter of Bingham Plastic.
So, my question is, how this motion actually occurs. How the shape of paste inside the body remain intact??article-1081685-024AE38E000005DC-364_233x181

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I'm also curious to know, if anyone can explain?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Well, Freeze the toothpaste and use Dexter's knife 😨
  • Neda Hashmi
    Neda Hashmi
    That was a piece of real curiosity... @#-Link-Snipped-# ..👍
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    They are non mixable and when to you press from outside it will affect all layers in parallel.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Gionee, the Chinese smartphone makers, have launched a new gadget in their Elife series with Gionee Elife E7. A successor to the Gionee Elife E6 smartphone with some cool features...
Paper planes have been a part of everyone’s childhood. As kids you might have wasted many sheets of paper trying to perfect your design so that your paper plane flies...
Hello To All Staff and Moderator, I am Rhomeo Manaog, one of the community assistant of Patexia, Inc. Patexia is a global community of students, researchers, and professionals that comes...
can anybody tell me what is tri-state and why it is needed in micropressor?
Acer has launched a new touchscreen Chromebook called Acer C720P today at a price of $299 in the U.S. This is an upgraded or newer version of The Acer C720...