Mechanical World's smallest engine - Single Molecule Mover and Shaker

Scientific American reports that Scientists in Germany and Spain have demonstrated that a single Hydrogen molecule dancing between two possible positions can move a macro object like a cantilever Quartz tuning fork.

A real life engine smaller than this is unthinkable.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Interesting. Makes me wonder what are the applications of this engine in real world?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Why not play with some of the inner subatomic particles in femto scale they are way to smaller than the real ones prescribed here I guess
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    Interesting. Makes me wonder what are the applications of this engine in real world?
    Perhaps the vibration motors in cell phones may be one application.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just wondered, if a multimeter is connected across the terminals of a battery, to check its voltage, and is kept in that manner continuously for a long period of...
Many youngsters are bothered about lack of a proper degree or work experience to put on their resume. The start up Cream.hr tries to address this by developing a scientific...
GOOGLE seems to be looking for other maps to conquer. It has started seeing stars. 100,000 of them! It has come up with a new visualization tool called 100,000 stars...
IEEE periodically offers free content on pertinent topics. Here is a clutch of free white papers: https://www.ieee.org/portal/innovate/freecontent/index.html?mtcCampaign=12537&mtcEmail=117584974
hello everyone i completed my b tech from jntu university. i am confused with my career. 1 SAP 2 oracle 3 networking which one is better