Measurement of force

Now consider this situation:

A couple of pulleys have been coupled together by a belt. Now what would be the practical procedure to determine the tensions in the belt, (the tension in the slack side, as well as the tight side).

And also, nowadays while solving, design problems, we just use the terms "tight side" and "slack side" of the belt. But in the belt what exactly are the limits of these two sides ?

any ideas

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This may give some info:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    That was somewhat useful.

But what i wanted was to know about the experimental setup used for determining the tensions, something like the proney-brake arrangement, and stuff like that
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    One thing that can be tried is to make equidistant marks on the surface of the belt with a permanent marker ad use a stroboscope to freeze motion. A measuring microscope or telescope can be used to measure the distance between marks when stationary and moving. The extension can be calibrated as tension using Hooke's law.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    bioramani
    One thing that can be tried is to make equidistant marks on the surface of the belt with a permanent marker ad use a stroboscope to freeze motion. A measuring microscope or telescope can be used to measure the distance between marks when stationary and moving. The extension can be calibrated as tension using Hooke's law.
    what is a stroboscope ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
  • gohm
    gohm
    A timing light is a familiar form of a stroboscope to those unfamiliar with them term.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name:Mangesh *Engineering Trade:IT Location:Amravati *Occupation: Student Work Experience: Fresher *Hobbies & Interests: Surfing, Downloading, Listning Music etc *Aim in life: Establish my own Software Business. *I joined CrazyEngineers because: Getting...
Hello, is there any way to get Latest IEEE topics, Can anyone tell me what can I do in Digital Image Processing or Artificial Intelligence? Which will be better? Or...
Dear All, If motor is running with 40%load of the rated kW whether it can be run permanantly on star mode? Regards, Fisfise
Here is one of the most lingering questions in many minds!!
Can anybody introduce me to the Work Cultures of some of the Top Indian IT companies and MNC's??