measurement of body height with image processing on matlab. need help

hello everybody. i'm the new member in this forum.
i wanna ask something about image processing.
i got a project on my college. i want to measurement of human height seen from the photograph. but i'm still confused to applied my concept to matlab.
here my concept :
1. distance of camera to human body is 2 meters. so i put a constansta a = 2 (scaling)
2. i want to use edge detection. so, my concept,, i put a position of foot locate on y = 0. so, with edge detection, i will search position of head (thats for y1), if i get ordinate of head,, so i will substract that with y (position of foot) so i get a height on that photo (h1 = y1 - y). after that, i use a geometric so i will getting real the height of human body.
that's my concept,,
my question :
How to use an edge detection on matlab, so i can get the ordinate of head (y1)? i'm still confused..
thanks for your respons..

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, for more complex ways, you can go for face recognition. You first recognize a face from the given
    photo. And the top edge of the face is obviously the top edge of the person who is standing.

But that much complex coding is not actually required. You just take the photograph with a uniform colored
    background, preferably with the test subject wearing contrasting colors. Like may be, blue background and
    the person wearing red or something.

This way, when you detect the edges of the picture, you'll probably get an outline of the person standing. Then
    you get the maximum ordinate value where the pixel value is non zero. That's the top point of the head.. That's all.

you've asked how to use edge detection in matlab. That's very simple. There are a couple of inbuilt functions for that.
    You can search for them in matlab help. Practice it in some test images and your'e good to go.. Hope I answered your question.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

International Journal of Electronics, Information and Systems (IJEIS) Call for Paper​The International Journal of Electronics, Information and Systems (IJEIS) publish original papers on all subjects relevant to electronics, computer science,...
hi this is freelanceindia from india....
hello guys I m doing master,and this semester i gotta choose a project.I m so interested in Network security(Practical not theoretical) because I attended in some classes such as MSCE...
Twitter Eye Size- 787 KB Version- 1.0 Small application that checks your Twitter account and popups a ballon tooltip when one of your friends tweets. It`s useful for people who...
am 2nd yr student in electrical engineering i have read in a news paper that there will be 30% losses when we connect a charger to power supply even though...