MBBS @ IIT - Medical Courses At Indian Institute Of Technology!

The Indian Institute of Technology will soon start offering medical courses. According to report published in Today's ET, IIT Kharagpur will soon start offering MBBS courses. The HRD ministry has already approved multi-crore rupees grant to start construction of a super-speciality hospital within the IIT-KGP campus. It's expected that the construction will take about 2-5-3 years to complete.

The IITs have been known all over the world for their engineering courses, considered to be the best in India. It will be for the first time that IITs will begin offering medical degrees as well. The courses are likely to be oriented towards use of high-end engineering into medical field. The Medical Council of India too has granted approval for the courses to be conducted at the new campus.

ET also reports that IIT-KGP has been running school of medical sciences and technology to offer a three year PG course in medical sciences.

Do you think it's a much awaited move from the IITs?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    May be IITs should get their heads examined at some competent neuro science place.
    Maybe all the robotics, imaging science, targeted drug delivery, wearable and mobile monitoring can justify this move.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update. I got to talk to someone quite up in the know of things. The med lot are furious. They want to start engineering courses in retaliation. Apparently the IIT act does not include medical courses. It may not happen.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been closely following the Indian entrepreneurship scene; with an aim to find out the trends. For example, what are the hottest domains for newbie entrepreneurs, which startups are getting...
Is this practical or lot of hot air? Quote: A combination of the U.S. Geological Survey’s ShakeAlert system, a magnetic-field architecture and a three-part building foundation system may enable buildings...
​ When I first heard about the HDMI dongle developed by an Indian startup (aka Mango Man Consumer Electronics Pvt. Ltd based out of Bangalore), I was pleasantly surprised. Teewe...
What are the companies that hire MCA graduates?? What would be their expectations on MCA students???
I have this conceptual problem which I asked many people regarding pressure velocity problem and many got confused, I later turned this problem into pressure velocity paradox.Please help me with...