MBA By Distance Education Program

I would like to know more about doing MBA by distance education. Currently I am doing my final year of engineering. As i have already got placed and not interested in full time courses, is it a good idea to do distance education? Kindly provide me few details about the institutions which offer distance education in India. Also provide some details regarding the application procedures. I would also like to know whether the MBA certificate that we will get at the completion of course through distance education is equivalent to that of full time MBA?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Depends on what you expect as the outcome of your distance education program. I've never seen a person deriving any benefit out of distance education program apart from having extra letters at the end of name. Let me tell you my own thoughts on MBA by distance education.

Education in India has become a business. The same happened with engineering as well. The mushrooming of private engineering colleges led to creation of thousands of engineers who've no interest in engineering and their knowledge is just same as that of a SSC pass candidate. Since so many of the engineers were getting created every year, finding jobs became difficult for them. So came the natural next step - opting for post graduate courses.

The post graduate courses soon became too popular and even became a 'necessity' for those who wanted to seek jobs. Soon, the classrooms began flooding with the candidates and the total tuition fees skyrocketed. Since not many candidates could get through the admissions process and were unable to pay exorbitant fees, the educational institutions discovered a new way of making money - Distance Education Courses.

Distance Education Courses require a very sophisticated infrastructure so that the education can be delivered effectively to the candidates. But from what I observe, most of the MBA courses have become correspondance courses which sometimes get 'video lectures'. The end result is that the effectiveness of the MBA by distance education program goes down.

The most common reason for getting an MBA for most of the candidates is that they want better jobs. But trust me, I'm still to see even ONE candidate who benefitted from a distance learning program. No company will want to hire candidate who's just attended lectures and has no on-field experience. If you really want to derive some gains from an MBA course, I'd recommend opting for a 2 year full course from a reputed institution or 1 year executive course once you've at least 2 years of corporate experience.
  • royz2010
    royz2010
    The_Big_K
    Depends on what you expect as the outcome of your distance education program. I've never seen a person deriving any benefit out of distance education program apart from having extra letters at the end of name.
    Will it be helpful to get higher job positions in companies or they will also consider it as extra letters at the end of name?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    royz2010
    Will it be helpful to get higher job positions in companies or they will also consider it as extra letters at the end of name?
    I seriously doubt it. It might just be helpful if you are employed with a company and your company encourages you or sponsors the distance education for you.

However that's just my opinion. There are others here who can give you their own opinions.
  • royz2010
    royz2010
    Can you tell me few other courses after engineering, which I can do along with my job?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    royz2010
    Can you tell me few other courses after engineering, which I can do along with my job?
    Check out the trainings and certifications section of CE Forums for more information. My personal recommendation is to go with the trainings & courses that are relevant to the job you're doing. But if you think a course will help you; go for it and make sure that you excel at it. Else; there won't be any use and you'd end up losing all your money.

If you don't have a job offer in hand, you should concentrate on getting a job offer first (that is, preparing for aptitude tests, mock interviews) and join a course relevant to computer engineering of *your interest*. Once you're selected by any company, they'll have ample options for trainings and certifications which would not only directly benefit you but also help you save some good money.
  • royz2010
    royz2010
    The_Big_K
    Check out the trainings and certifications section of CE Forums for more information. My personal recommendation is to go with the trainings & courses that are relevant to the job you're doing. But if you think a course will help you; go for it and make sure that you excel at it. Else; there won't be any use and you'd end up losing all your money.

If you don't have a job offer in hand, you should concentrate on getting a job offer first (that is, preparing for aptitude tests, mock interviews) and join a course relevant to computer engineering of *your interest*. Once you're selected by any company, they'll have ample options for trainings and certifications which would not only directly benefit you but also help you save some good money.
    Thanks a lot sir..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    royz2010
    Thanks a lot sir..
    You just have 26 posts here. Be active on CE. You'll learn lot of new things ๐Ÿ˜€

Good to know that it helped.
  • royz2010
    royz2010
    Good to know that it helped.[/quote]
    The_Big_K
    You just have 26 posts here. Be active on CE. You'll learn lot of new things ๐Ÿ˜€

Good to know that it helped.
    Just a beginner sir..that's why less number of posts..
    Sure I will be active.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • csmentor
    csmentor
    royz2010
    I would like to know more about doing MBA by distance education. Currently I am doing my final year of engineering. As i have already got placed and not interested in full time courses, is it a good idea to do distance education? Kindly provide me few details about the institutions which offer distance education in India. Also provide some details regarding the application procedures. I would also like to know whether the MBA certificate that we will get at the completion of course through distance education is equivalent to that of full time MBA?
    I see it is a OLD post and good amount of guidance and discussion happened.. but i have a point to ADD.

For an Engineer who is working in core domain in NON-Govt department MBA by Distance Learning doesnt add much value in JOB. For that you need to attend a B-School (BIG OR SMALL doesn't matter) where you can gain knowledge and skills.

I did MBA in Finance through distance mode out of my OWN interest and I DIDNOT & DONOT WANT to take any benefit of it in my IT JOB.. but the knowledge i gained is really helping me and my friends.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Good to know that. Do you see any other benefits of distance education than gaining more knowledge? Does it help in getting promotions or gives you an edge in job interviews?
  • csmentor
    csmentor
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Good to know that. Do you see any other benefits of distance education than gaining more knowledge? Does it help in getting promotions or gives you an edge in job interviews?
    I never tried for a job after completing my MBA.. but i doubt in Private Sector we can get promotion just by doing MBA unless the skills gained in MBA add some value to the role. I believe if i am going for a IT based role in finance industry i will certainly have an edge over a person who is just CS Grad/PG or MBA.

To my belief.. Qualification is NOT JUST FOR JOB, it shows a person ability and skill. If qualification would have been just for Job. the kids of rich need not go for any study as they can inherit their family fortune and easily become owners of business.. But if they donot have right skills to run business they cant be successful.

A person who has completed a particular study (say BSc, Btech, Mtech, PhD, etc) knows what it takes to complete a course, but not the ones who didnt even attempt for pursuing those studies.. Those who couldnt get thru entrance of test would know the value of the course better than someone who somehow got the seat and didnt study properly.

If it sounds like a lecture excuse me !!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for your response. I asked because we get lot of queries from students who want to opt for distance education programs thinking that they'll enable them for jobs or give them a jump in the corporate hierarchy.
  • royz2010
    royz2010
    Can any one tell me the procedures to begin distance MBA after Engineering?(i mean, how can i apply for that). Kindly suggest me few institutes which provide the distance education option for MBA.
  • royz2010
    royz2010
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Sir, can you give an answer for my last post?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    royz2010
    Can any one tell me the procedures to begin distance MBA after Engineering?(i mean, how can i apply for that). Kindly suggest me few institutes which provide the distance education option for MBA.
    I don't really advocate distance MBA. I've not met anyone who's had real benefit from the distance learning course; especially in management. But if you really want to go ahead, then you'll have to find a distance learning center in your city or region. I'm not aware of any reputed institute that offers such courses. However, even if you get an MBA through distance education; how beneficial it will be in your current or future job is still not sure. Do you have any strong reasons for choosing Distance MBA?
  • missmartina
    missmartina
    Hello

MBA By Distance Education Program is the best option in the SMU and PTU university....so it is the best option to them....
  • ElizabethHofstet
    ElizabethHofstet
    We are offering those student who wants to study abroad Australia, We are the best educational consultant in New Delhi.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have a different opinion, I have spoke to people who has done not a distance MBA but executive MBA, like attending weekend classes etc etc.

If you are working for a corporate company , there are many chances that the company itself has tie-ups with IIM's for these MBA's.

I was considering these as useless programs, but if you want to jump in the corporate ladder , this is a criteria.

I know a person in my company got a very big role after doing this! And she is not an exceptional candidate she is a average one.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Guys, This is GGI from India. I have recently joined this forum. I am here just to say hello and welcome to all of you.
Have you noticed that we've crossed 44k discussions on CE Forums? ๐Ÿ˜ We're also closer to 200k posts on CE. It's all up to you how fast we can achieve...
My dad brought a solar lamp today. the seller said it would give a backup of 3 hours. will give a complete review in a week so that people can...
Nokia has just launched a video teaser of 'something'. Watch the video and guess what it is.
It is interesting that many contractors are grousing about their involvement in the coming London Olympics. All ghave been effectively gagged from talking about it. https://www.theengineer.co.uk/1011824.article?cmpid=TE01