Maruti's new secret mission: 30 Kmpl Engine

Maruthi Suzuki is secretly working on replacing engine in their car models such as A-Star and estilo.It was reported that MS is finding its replaccement for 800cc engine and it was expected to give an mileage of 30kmpl.It was reported that it wouldbe introduced in 2014 auto expo.Can it make an impact on sales of maruti suzuki?
source: indianautosblog.com/2013/08/next-gen-maruti-a-star-new-800cc-diesel-engine-90609

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It would have an 1.0 litre k-series petrol motor which helps in attaining the 30kmpl mark.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    30 kmpl? Interesting. I'd love to see how they manage to deliver 30 kmpl out of an 800 cc engine. Does anyone know anything about it? What are the improvements in the engine that'd lead to such fuel efficiency?

Tata Nano makers should be listening!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Tata nano is not getting the response as they expected. Its too small. Well it is handy but feels like an auto-rickshaw. MS i trying to give it a competition. I think Nano will get a better response in near future. Depending on that, MS "city car" will be judged. If they give more than nano at less price and more kmpls, it will own the auto-industry
    I dont think tata nano lacks features.I personally consider Nano as one of the best produced car ever.There may be some safety reasons and comfort which act as hinderance to sale of nano.Waiting for Nano diesel which can spin the future towards TATA.

Not to forget MS who produced the small sized family car in India and ruled over a decade but due to globaization and foreign auto giants entering into the auto industry in India MS finds difficult to sustain the market.
    Who knows ? this 30kmpl may become true and MS again rule India.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Well MS has the potential to capture market. But people nowadays are a lot into brands too. And fancy hyundai, chevi, VW, Honda steal them away. Though Nano is an excellent make, it is still behind due to its lack of space and features. If MS manages fuel efficiency WITH the normal features of Swift or Alto, then there is nothing in its way.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Well that looks difficult to me or there may be some compromise with life of engine. Do you remember Ford Fiesta boasting of 32 kmpl with diesel engine ? That was having Aluminium Engine Block that used to create problems in heat transfer after 3-4 year of usage of car.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Every car launched has some exceptional feature as well as some issues. I find it difficult to target one model or one car and say "Thats it." Let us see what MS comes up with. Keeping in mind the traffic in India and the roads, I highly doubt if any car can give 30kmpl on road. Lab tests wont promise them comsumers.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Nayan Goenka
    Every car launched has some exceptional feature as well as some issues. I find it difficult to target one model or one car and say "Thats it." Let us see what MS comes up with. Keeping in mind the traffic in India and the roads, I highly doubt if any car can give 30kmpl on road. Lab tests wont promise them comsumers.
    It seems to be more interesting to see the changes MS will do in their upcoming cars. But the thing is that what advancement are they going to make in their new engine? Whether they are designing any new design or any changes in the exiting engine ? Anybody having any knowledge about this?

Nayan Goenka
    Tata nano is not getting the response as they expected. Its too small. Well it is handy but feels like an auto-rickshaw. MS i trying to give it a competition. I think Nano will get a better response in near future. Depending on that, MS "city car" will be judged. If they give more than nano at less price and more kmpls, it will own the auto-industry
    I wan to tell your that TATA Nano is manufactured keeping in mind majorty to make it a cost efficient car. That's why features of this cars were neglected to some extend. Else, Tata Nano is launching its CNG variant Car, Diesel variant car in coming time. Even then the car gives a mileage of 22.4 kmpl mileage. And after all TATA Nano is called as the best low price car in INDIA.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Itspuneet
    Well that looks difficult to me or there may be some compromise with life of engine. Do you remember Ford Fiesta boasting of 32 kmpl with diesel engine ? That was having Aluminium Engine Block that used to create problems in heat transfer after 3-4 year of usage of car.
    I was thinking on the same line,
    Few of the basic options which may lead in increasing the mileage can be,

- Aero dynamic design
    - lighten the body weight by replacing the plastic body in place of iron / steel body where ever possible
    - Use aluminium (ligh body) material for engine

Any other ways?

-CB
    crazyboy
    I was thinking on the same line,
    Few of the basic options which may lead in increasing the mileage can be,

- Aero dynamic design
    - lighten the body weight by replacing the plastic body in place of iron / steel body where ever possible
    - Use aluminium (ligh body) material for engine

Any other ways?

-CB
    You are correct ji but we cant give safety as price.Certain parts should be made by ferrous material only to ensure high safety.Dashboards are the only potential places where high quality plastics can replace(from my knowledge).We can use carbon fibre to lighten the weight but it cost us more.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I find the lack of rumors about the cost interesting. After all, MS might just deliver us a 30kmpl engine. Whoever said it would be cheap as well? Looks like middle class indians are spending more if they are now shooting for german and american car makers too. Why can't they shell out more for a MS car which promises them style and mileage?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Gurjap
    I find the lack of rumors about the cost interesting. After all, MS might just deliver us a 30kmpl engine. Whoever said it would be cheap as well? Looks like middle class indians are spending more if they are now shooting for german and american car makers too. Why can't they shell out more for a MS car which promises them style and mileage?

Well mate it is easy on one part to say that we should always choose Indian Brand. But see on the other side. It will lab test 30kmpl, I am not sure if it can deliver it. Apart from that, nowadays everyone goes for looks also. That will be a criteria in determining if this car goes successful
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    CSK AUTO
    You are correct ji but we cant give safety as price.Certain parts should be made by ferrous material only to ensure high safety.Dashboards are the only potential places where high quality plastics can replace(from my knowledge).We can use carbon fibre to lighten the weight but it cost us more.
    Cost can be compromised for time being But security can't be

If our design is really stable then we have a new design

Once carbon fibres are produced in larger scale price will drop eventually So no need to worry about it now
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    Well mate it is easy on one part to say that we should always choose Indian Brand. But see on the other side. It will lab test 30kmpl, I am not sure if it can deliver it. Apart from that, nowadays everyone goes for looks also. That will be a criteria in determining if this car goes successful
    Most vehicles promise one thing and deliver something lesser But if the test scenario shows 30 Kmpl then we can expect atleast 23 with load in highways

At the max 22 in the streets of metros

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Reliance 4G rollout all over India is expected in the first half of 2014 and Reliance Jio, the company specially formed to handle 4G services has obtained an approval from...
Airtel is launching 4G services in Delhi in the next few weeks. According to telecomtiger, Huawei is most likely to handle the overall rollout plan, design, supply and deploy Airtel's...
Jeff Bezos, Founder and CEO of Amazon, will be purchasing popular newspaper The Washington Post for a whoping $250 million (£163m) along with several of its affiliations. That being said,...
A recent spy shot has revealed that Lamborghini has planned to replace Gallardo with Cabrera.We all knew about the legacy of Gallardo and it had a record sales of 13,000...
1. I am working on a project of Si NW synthesis. Its application is in solar cells. But recently i was informed that its use in solar cell is presently...