Marking a post as useful

A thread may be for any query and may contain large number of posts.

If someone later refer the thread for similar query, he may need to go through the whole thread to find appropriate post that answer the query.

If the user have a functionality where they can mark some post in the thread as useful, that will help others to directly refer fewer but useful posts instead of going through whole thread.

For a easier navigation, in every post of the thread there can be icons clicking which will take user to next/previous useful post.

-Pradeep

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    hmm..I guess it would be bit difficult to implement in CE current system ๐Ÿ˜‰ but I think all useless posts should get deleted and posts count should also be decremented from that user's account.

or

Marking thread's rating like answered/unanswered with stars assigned. 1 star means answered but not clearly and 5 stars means answered perfectly.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Our current systems allows the thread to be rated from 1-5. I'll have to go through and see if this request can be integrated with our current system.

Pointed noted.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is a good idea , but my question is how some one rates if i rate a particular post as 5 and some rates another one as 5 then the new user who is supposed to get useful with that will get confused .
    Rather, if we can reduce the posts i mean for any thread if we are crossing 30 posts it would be easy to navigate .
  • Differential
    Differential
    Good Idea. This will surely help identify good posts as well as value adding users. We can give points to users depending on his/her stars of posts. This will bring a competition to write value adding posts, encourage users and increase total quality of forum!

What do you say?

--Diff
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    This is good idea. We can also begin officially rating users as well.
  • pradeep_agrawal
    pradeep_agrawal
    The_Big_K
    Our current systems allows the thread to be rated from 1-5. I'll have to go through and see if this request can be integrated with our current system.
    Big K, this is just out of curiosity. On what basis a threat is rated between 1 to 5? And who do this?

shalini_goel14
    I think all useless posts should get deleted and posts count should also be decremented from that user's account.
    There are lots of existing big thread and more new threads in the future may grow big. Cleanup of useless posts does not looks to me a very good idea and will need a considerable amount of effort.

The motivation behind suggesting this is better accessibility of information. Consider the Java thread that you have started which currently has more then 100 post. For any new user or visitor it will be difficult to read all 100+ posts. Whereas with the facility available, he can just browse through useful post in less time. This will be more appealing to him.

Now how a post is marked as useful can be decided, few suggestions:
    - Each user can cast his vote for the post and when a post has got some fix amount of vote (which should be some lower value like 3-5), its displayed as useful.
    - Certain set of folks continuously monitors threads and its post and they decide if a post is useful or not.
    - The person who has initiated the post mark it as useful if he is satisfied with the reply in a post.

-Pradeep
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Basically, the thread rating is the macro of what you are suggesting. Anyone can give a thread a rating, and the average will be shown. You are right in regarding threads containing a lot of posts. That is why we suggest CEans to start new ones to avoid making it too long. But for sure we'll end up with long threads anyway ๐Ÿ˜€

How should we display a useful post? Tag it with the word "useful/recommended", or change it's colour to contrast against other posts?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I always recommend to break the thread into two parts once the thread grows beyond 30 posts.

There's a feature that is used by a lot of forums - 'thank' the user feature. If a user makes a useful post, others can simply click a button to 'thank' the user for the post. The post with max. number of thanks is obviously the most useful post.

Would you like to have such feature on CE?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    pradeep_agrawal
    Consider the Java thread that you have started which currently has more then 100 post. For any new user or visitor it will be difficult to read all 100+ posts. -Pradeep
    Man, I never expected that its count would go 100+ ever , that thread didn't go the way I wished it. People kept on spoiling it with useless posts and I could only shout at them. This is one of the reason, I mentioned deletion of "useless" posts. Anyways who cares, do whatever you want.

PS: Everyone -1 request Please avoid discussing that thread in every context.

Thanks !
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The_Big_K
    I always recommend to break the thread into two parts once the thread grows beyond 30 posts.

There's a feature that is used by a lot of forums - 'thank' the user feature. If a user makes a useful post, others can simply click a button to 'thank' the user for the post. The post with max. number of thanks is obviously the most useful post.

Would you like to have such feature on CE?

Yes biggie we can have this feature , but why not think something else someother feature which rates threads rather than the old one which i saw in few of the forums.
    We have many people who can think out of box so you give a chance to those people to think and come up with some innovative ideas which other forums dont have ,thus CE becomes unique ๐Ÿ˜€

PS . Currently i dont have any idea ๐Ÿ˜‰ but we have genius guys on CE so lets see what they say ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can a 12V DC Relay controled by normal PLC? how much the output Voltage of PLC??๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
i am doing my final year project on conveyor.. can u all guys suggest the features that can be add on at my conveyor? my conveyor already equiped with size...
Hi cEans. I once again login to this after few days due to my summer vacation. I tried to learn Advanced Java during these holidays. I know basics of java...
Hi, Very Good Morning to all. Well I have joined this forum some days back and found that I am making use of it daily. Here is my little introduction:...
Well, I guess very much needed here. This thread is dedicated to me and those who want to argue with me or have any issues with me or my words...