Marine Engineer : Alternative Career Option : IES or MBA?

Marine Engineer : Alternative Career Option : IES or MBA?

As a marine engineer, your experience, training, and skill set could be transferable to a number of alternative careers. Here are a few options:

1. Shipping Industry: Within the shipping industry, there are roles like ship surveyors, port management and operations, and shipping logistics that you could consider. These roles often require the kind of knowledge and skills marine engineers possess.

2. Teaching and Academic Research: If you have a passion for education, becoming a lecturer or professor in a college or university is an option. This would also allow you to contribute to research in your field.

3. Ship Designing: Design firms that work with shipyards or naval architecture might value your expertise. This could include roles in designing new vessels or updating older ones.

4. Offshore Energy: Whether it's oil and gas, wind power, or other marine-based energy sources, your marine engineering background could be useful here. Many of these companies require professionals who understand marine systems.

5. Maritime Regulatory Bodies: There are many roles within government or private regulatory bodies such as Directorate General of Shipping, classification societies, or marine safety organizations where your skills could be valuable.

6. Technical Consultancy: Many companies need technical consultants who can advise on various engineering problems. This could range from ship efficiency to system design to risk management. This often requires deep technical knowledge, but could also involve business development or project management.

7. Marine Equipment Manufacturing & Sales: Companies that manufacture or sell marine equipment often need individuals who not only understand the technical aspects of the product but can also communicate effectively with potential buyers. Your engineering background would be beneficial in such roles.

8. Marine Insurance: With your technical knowledge about ships and their operations, you can work in marine insurance companies in assessing the insurance claims for accidents or other mishaps that occur at sea.

Remember to consider the need for additional qualifications or certifications, as some of these career paths might require them.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, Saurabh. IES is a pretty technical job and it's a government one - so be sure you really want to get into it. Plus, the competition is going to be very tough - several thousand candidates fight for a handful of seats from all over India. I don't have information about the kind of job profiles IES gets but I *think* an IES would get appointed as a sub-divisional engineer in government run companies (that work in the engineering domain).

MBA is a different story - and is likely to take you away from the technical field. You might go for the executive MBA, which is one year course offered by several leading renowned institutes in India, including the IIMs. I'd highly recommend the 1 year MBA course offered by the Indian School Of Business (ISB) Hyderabad - the jobs offered to the candidates are super awesome.

The first step would be to decide whether you wish to opt for MBA or IES - and the answer can come from whether you wish to remain in the technical field or make a career in the management field.

Regarding other opportunities - there are several; but I'd recommend looking for domains that are in sync with your likes & interests.

PS: You might just make a career as a blogger that writes information for those who wish to take up marine engineering & jobs! 😀
  • Satyajeet Chouhan
    Satyajeet Chouhan
    Hello kaustubh sir ,
    Can u plz share more information on executive MBA. I have heard that the colleges that offer executive MBA have a requirement of exactly 2 hrs of work experience.Plus we being marine engineers are clueless as to which company will hire us because executive MBA helps you get a good management level job in your earlier experienced field.
    So plz guide us as to how an Executive MBA will help us.
    Regards ,
    Satyajeet.
  • Reynold Doss
    Reynold Doss
    My son has completed his B.Tech Marine Engg. He intends to change his branch and join M.Tech (Machine Design.) Is he eligible, please guide me.

F.R.Doss

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a graduate of Electrical/Electronics Engineering currently undergoing a one-year training in Process Automation,Control and optimization (PACO) at the Design office of Shell Petroleum Development Company In Port Harcourt...
Does transient response of a second order system depends upon the input magnitude ? I want to know let for unit step and 10 U(t) ,do the maximum overshoot or...
A majority of the defects circuit-board assembly are caused due to issues in solder-paste printing process or due to defects in the solder paste. There are many different types of...
Ever wondered which company on the planet has the crown for filing the most number of patents in the US every year? Well, it's your old International Business Machines aka...
Hi Everyone , My question : Leave job for CAT Study OR Study with job. ????? I am aiming for CAT 2013 , Currently I am working with IBM since...