Man Vs. Machine: Robot EARL gets beaten

Chris Barnes takes on EARL - the Enhanced Automated Robotic Launcher - the new bowling robot at the International Training and Research Center in Arlington.

This robot bowler, cheekily named EARL, is capable of laying down the exact same, utterly perfect shot every time. Yet it still lost to professional human bowler Chris Barnes. How did this happen?

Check out the video below:

[video=youtube;s8yMFdPD68c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8yMFdPD68c&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    EARL's precision and that ability to throw the exact same way might have been his downfall.

Since every throw was so similar, over a few throws, the ball wore down the oil on the lanes, which caused some unforeseen behavior. EARL was unable to adjust quickly enough, and Barnes threw a whopping seven strikes in a row. That put him over the top!

P.S: EARL has been known to throw a perfect 300 in the past.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    So that means the machine was beaten by a human because of a human error! ironic, but true.
    The team who made EARL didn't notice that error and that caused all this problem for the robo guy! 😁 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends, Can anyone tell me whether there is MAC address inside Datagram or not ? If there is no mac, then how do we identify the desired system(receiver) in...
Guys, I did not get the concept that IP datagrams that are used over internet to transfer messages is connectionless service and HTTP use TCP(connection oriented) service. My confusion is...
I vividly remember the day when I went to that bookstore. "Crossword" was newly opened in my city. I, along with my 3 friends went there. And boy, we were...
ScanCorner aims to solve the problem faced by many people who have the 'hard copies' of their photographs and want to convert them into high quality digital images. The startup...
hi guys' can we test a 555 timer ic using cro,probes and function generator? if so ,how?