Make Way For New Electronic Memory Devices, Thanks To NCSU Researchers

It's time to make way for next-generation electronic memory devices thanks to the research work of a team from North Carolina State University (NCSU). Their work on multiferroic materials (the ones that have both ferromagnetic and ferroelectric properties) is going to have a significant impact on the development of new non-volatile electronic memory devices that consume less power. In fact, they have already created prototypes of these devices and are currently testing them. With multiferroic materials, it is possible to switch a material's magnetism with an electric field, or switching its electric polarity with a magnetic field.

Identifying the problem -
For years together, it was known that multiferroic materials could be created using two layers - one ferroelectric (barium titanate or BTO) and another ferromagnetic (lanthanum strontium magnese oxide or LSMO). These 'bilayer' thin layers or films couldn't be used in large-scale manufacturing as they could not be integrated on a silicon chip. Therefore, a technique was needed that could make it possible to use the ferroelectric material as ferromagnetic too, eliminating the need of LSMO. As also by developing buffer layers that can be used to integrate either this bilayer film onto a silicon chip. Well, the NCSU research team did just that.

multiferroic-electronic-memory-devices-ncsu-university-research

Research & Development -
By using a high-power nanosecond pulse laser, the team created oxygen vacancy-related defects (which created the ferromagnetic properties) in the BTO multiferroic material. The buffer layers used were made of titanium nitride (TiN) and magnesium oxide (MgO). The resulting multiferroic material could function efficiently without diffusing into the silicon or destroying silicon transistors.

The team, led by Dr. Jay Narayan, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State University, was able to successfully develop a prototype device using this mechanism and once its testing is done, they will be looking for industry partners to venture into full-scale manufacturing.

Source: Researchers Develop Novel Multiferroic Materials and Devices Integrated With Silicon Chips | NC State News

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1. A book contains 50 leaves. In one page there are 20 lines and in each line there are 10 words. How many words does that book contain?
How to kill insufficient memory problem in Android phones Hi friends, i faced the insufficient memory problems in my android phone like others. i searched many forums, discussed with my...
It was only mid-December 2014 when Blackberry unveiled its much awaited smartphone 'BlackBerry Classic' at a price of $449 shortly after successfully launching BlackBerry Passport. After only a month, the...
Have you ever know what is the use ferrite bead in Cables. Hi friends you might have seen this cable often in all areas, but did you noticed why there...