Magnetic field causes a hairy moment for uphill water - Second Law still holds

Quote:
A new elastic material coated with microscopic, hairlike structures has been developed by engineers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to tilt in response to a magnetic field.
Depending on the field’s orientation, the nickel microhairs can tilt to form a path through which fluid can flow. MIT claims the material can even direct water upward, against gravity.
Endquote

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankit Litoriya
    Ankit Litoriya
    Just for the shake of knowledge can u plz also light up in sevre uses of it ...??

Can we also use them fr natuaral disasters ??

Whats the technice behind ??.
  • DADISETTY GOVIND
    DADISETTY GOVIND
    is there any material which is helpful to get the cost reduction of vehicles such as bikes/scooties etc because my chemistry sir told a material name in my first year of b-tech,he shifted his place.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    DADISETTY LAXMI GOVIND
    is there any material which is helpful to get the cost reduction of vehicles such as bikes/scooties etc because my chemistry sir told a material name in my first year of b-tech,he shifted his place.
    It is more important to make the use of the bike economical, energy efficient and easy on the environment than reducing the initial cost.
    Actually this aspect is exercising many auto giants now. Can be a good final year mechE project.
  • DADISETTY GOVIND
    DADISETTY GOVIND
    i didnot get the actual answer?????
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    DADISETTY LAXMI GOVIND
    i didnot get the actual answer?????
    The response was to shift the focus of the question.
    Various polymers and composites are already being used to reduce the weight of vehicles. These can be expensive and may even increase the initial cost. They will reduce fuel consumption and the carbon foot print.

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, This thread is meant for those who have registered on the first lot to help out the community with the invite codes that we are going to get....
This discussion aims at answering all your questions and answers. You may ask your question below and get official answers. Let's begin with the most frequently asked questions - What...
Quote: Biomaterials for bone regeneration have been developed by researchers from beer brewing waste. The waste obtained from the beer brewing process contains the main chemical components found in bones...
Quote: Satellite imagery has played an important role in humanitarian response for almost two decades. Lately, humanitarian organizations are increasingly turning to Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) to be their eyes...
Hi @Ankita Katdare @Kaustubh Katdare I just wanted to know whether we are going to have CE meets again? I would love for the engineers to meet again and discuss....