Magnesium-Ion Batteries Could Outperform Conventional Lithium-Ion Ones In The Future

Last week, we read about the researchers at the Stanford University who had developed a new Aluminium-Ion Batteries From Stanford University: Safer and Faster Than Lithium-Ion Batteries that was not only safer than lithium-ion battery but had phenomenal charging times of less than one minute. While the researchers at Stanford focused on safety and speed, a couple of researchers from University of Illinois at Chicago are focusing their efforts on improving performance of rechargeable batteries. UIC assistant professor of chemistry, Jordi Cabana has informed that they are currently working on a new type of battery that utilises magnesium instead of lithium. The battery which is still a concept uses magnesium ions instead of lithium ones because they can have plus-two charge in battery-like chemical reactions as compared to lithium-ions which can carry only a single positive charge. This means with the help of magnesium ions they can move twice as many electrons in a battery.

Lithium ion

So what is the advantage of this change? Well, for understanding the reasons you have to first get a vague idea into the workings of a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Every battery has two electrodes, positive and negative which are surrounded by electrolyte. Ions of positive charge move between both the electrodes and the electrolyte which is an electric insulator makes sure that the charge moves outside to power the gadget or the vehicle. When you recharge the battery this reaction is reversed but this reverse reaction is not that efficient and that’s why the number of charging cycles is reduced. The researchers say that with every charge-recharge cycle the ions distort the structure of the electrode material and this distortion makes it harder to recharge the battery. With the help of magnesium they will be able to maximise the number of electrons moved per ion. To make their case clearer they state a simple example of a car park. A car park has spaces for cars, but the spaces are not affected when you jam in more people in the car.

Magnisium ion
UIC Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Jordi Cabana ​

The team from the Joint Centre for Energy Storage Research has proven that magnesium can be reversibly inserted into electrode material’s structure and they are currently busy building the first prototype. You can read more about their work in the #-Link-Snipped-# journal and on their #-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

• crazygeek
    crazygeek
    As per the article, Joint Centre for Energy Storage Research team is building up the first prototype of Magnesium Ion battery which is a good sign and support of future products. Battery companies are investing huge funds in long durable batteries research where they are focusing in future upcoming products like electronic cars and bikes. Japan is already ahead in battery bikes and car products where they have planned to penetrate global market in next 5 years. Lets hope we will be seeing these high efficient batteries and electronic products in market soon.
  • Satheesh S.S
    Satheesh S.S
    only it has low rechargeable time in magnesium battery .did discharging time also increase in this battery

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you are looking to start your business and have any questions or doubts, please ask them here. I think we've a lot of people on CrazyEngineers who've been through...
I'm wondering if we should have language specific sub-sections on CrazyEngineers to have more people asking their programming questions. I think we should be able to do that using the...
Turns out that some of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phones have been experiencing problem with the screen 'auto-rotate' feature. This problem isn't very widespread, but a lot of people...
There are times you will want to check if your Samsung phone's hardware is working okay. Because most of the phone related issues can typically be fixed using software patches...
I am big big fan of Workspace/Virtual-desktop feature. Since the day I jumped on Linux ship my major attention was Workspace. It literally saves lot of time and even with...