List Of Movies Every Entrepreneur Should Watch!

We entrepreneurs (and wannabe entrepreneurs) have a tough job of keeping ourselves motivated when the things go wrong. And Murphy's laws govern every move and most of the entrepreneurs here would agree with me that almost everything goes wrong 😁 . But there's a positive side to it as well; when things go wrong, we learn our lessons and move forward and prepare for our next battle. That said, I want all our CEans to build a list of movies every entrepreneur should watch for various reasons like motivation, ideas, inspiration, lessons and so on. Let's write down the names of movies and with a brief explanation of why any entrepreneur should watch it. I'll begin -

Cast Away ( 😨 ? )

I think the movie leaves the audience with a big message! And that message is 'Don't Give Up'! The message is so strong that most of the people fail to get it; but entrepreneurs shouldn't let the message go tangent to their brains. Totally unexpected sequence of events take Tom Hanks to a place where he's all alone with almost zero chance of survival! There's no one around him to listen to him or to save him. It's easy for him to just give up ( and die ). But he refuses to call it quits. He spends several months alone with patience and waiting for the opportunity to get out of the island.

Finally, he decides to 'Screw It & Do It'. Luck favors him and he's back among the humans.

Wonderful story and equally wonderful message: Don't Give up. A must watch for every entrepreneur!

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Pirates of Silicon Valley?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    The social network..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You'll have to tell us why you recommend that movie? Why is it relevant to entrepreneurs etc.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    There's Citizen Kane (1941) - IMDb, where reporters try to decode the last words of a newspaper tycoon! The rise and fall of the giant has been beautifully shown. Adding more details about this movie may make up for a spoiler.

Then there's Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year (2009) - IMDb which I believe is one of the most underrated movies of our times. This movie has aptly described the story of a fresher, finding the balance between his work and heart, and then making a way of his own. The virtues this film stand for- customer service, honesty and transparency- are the things that every entrepreneurial venture should promise & deliver.

Next is Life Is Beautiful (1997) - IMDb, where the protagonist employs his sense of humor to keep his son safe in a Nazi camp. The teaching- No matter what problems you face, a cheerful pursuit will always see you through!

Then The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) - IMDb, this image says it all-Best-Advice-a-Father-can-give---Best-dialogue-by-Will-Smith-in-Pursuit-of-Happiness
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Pursuit Of Happyness

Must watch because this is a real life story.
    Those who have seen it would remember how much he believed in the product that he can’t sell that he ends up losing his house, his wife and his money, being left with just himself and his son.

This in itself is an important lesson to be learnt, but it’s the steps that he takes from here that really shape him into who he becomes. Against all odds, he takes an unpaid internship to become a stockbroker, fighting against his peers for a single job at the end of it. This is a powerful true story that sticks with you as you face your own personal struggles in business.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Forrest Gump - because it is the story of a simple man with good intentions, who accidentally becomes phenomenally successful from living his life the best way he knows how.

He wins medals, becomes a professional ping-pong player, takes up running, owns a huge shrimping company and inspires people all across the country.
    The simple nature of Forrest makes him very appealing to world as he proves that you don’t have to be a super genius to make something work, you just have to try.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I would also recommend Bollywood movie 'Guru'.

The main character, Gurukant Desai, known as Gurubhai, tells that, his father always told him not to dream, as dreams never come true. But he dared to dream and he succeeded in making it a reality. He grew up in rural upbringing as the son of the local headmaster and succeeded in becoming the business tycoon of India.
  • avii
    avii
    127 Hours. Same reasons as mentioned in OP. but just that, it's a true story.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I haven't seen it yet, but many of them say 'The Aviator' is a must watch movie.

The story is about a 20-year career of the legendary Howard Hughes (Leonardo DiCaprio), as he goes from being a perfectionist Hollywood film director to an innovative airplane pilot and owner of an airline. 😨

The bio-pic shows Hughes as he takes over Trans World Airlines and tries to compete with the big, bad Pan American Airlines. The road is long, and PanAm puts up a fight, but Hughes never gives up. And though Hughes eventually suffered from debilitating paranoia and phobias, in the movie he at least makes a brief comeback at the end.

The lesson from this movie and entrepreneur’s story is this: Never be afraid to take on a company bigger than yours.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    AbraKaDabra
    The story is about a 20-year career of the legendary Howard Hughes (Leonardo DiCaprio), as he goes from being a perfectionist Hollywood film director to an innovative airplane pilot and owner of an airline. 😨
    Is it a real life story of an Engineer?😉
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    sure, he was an engineer. He also produced and financed movies, and built the largest and the fastest airplanes of his time. Also he was the richest man in the world. As he is shown saying as a boy in the movie," One day I'll make the best movies, fly the fastest planes and be the richest man in the world."

Edit: He also dates the most famous movie stars of his time. Unfortunately, one of his girl friends said about him later,"I don't think Howard could love anything that did not have a motor in it."
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If you are fan of Open source, just watch this
    Antitrust (2001) : Antitrust (2001) - IMDb
    Apperently, Bill Gates is a villain in this movie.

PS:Pursuite of Happyness is my all time favorite movie. Show this movie to a final year guy who failed to succeed some interviews and see the reaction.
    Whenever I feel low, I just watch this movie.

PPS: Here is Eleven Movies Entrepreneurs Should Watch
    and from 20 Inspiring Movies For Entrepreneurs That Everyone Should Watch . I didn't watched old movies
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Good to see this thread being updated. Let us make a good collection here.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Whiplash

The film that hates to be just a 'good film' and is a great achievement in itself. Set against the backdrop of music, this is one movie every entrepreneur must watch. For the spirit, that burns your inners and makes you settle for nothing but best, and gains you the respect you so very deserve.

PS - I'm totally in awe of JK Simmons.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    Pirates of Silicon Valley?
    #-Link-Snipped-# This is an absolute must-watch for anyone starting up a business in the internet domain or in the gadget space. There's a lot to learn from the initial days of Apple and Microsoft and Xerox and IBM.
    Also, that documentary is very well presented and will be seen over an over by entrepreneurs over the coming years.

Here are two movies I would like to add here -

1. Office Space:

More often than not Entrepreneurs are made out of employees who hate their jobs. 😁
    In this 1999 comedy movie, we explore through the life of Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston), who hates sitting inside a cubicle taking orders from his creepy boss Bill Lumbergh (Gary Cole), what we could instead be doing! 😀

2. Jerry Maguire:

In this move, the protagonist, Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise), had it all:
    Tons of friends, A Superb successful career and a beautiful fiancé.
    One day however he loses everything and goes on journey to regain everything he’s lost.
    When as an entrepreneur when following your dream, chances of failing terribly on both personal and professional fronts are at an ALL TIME HIGH. You could take back a lesson or two from this old popular movie for sure.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ankita Katdare
    . Office Space:

More often than not Entrepreneurs are made out of employees who hate their jobs. 😁
    In this 1999 comedy movie, we explore through the life of Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston), who hates sitting inside a cubicle taking orders from his creepy boss Bill Lumbergh (Gary Cole), what we could instead be doing!
    Feeling low in office!!! watch the movie and listen this song 😁

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    True. When I first heard the song in the background, it had me in splits. The movie is hilarious in some parts.

Guys - #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# Any more movie suggestions in this space?

Another movie I was going to add -

Rocket_Singh_-_Salesman_of_the_Year

Anyone around here seen and loved it?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Now the latest trend is, jOBS and The Internship! Microsoft became old, now it is gonna be Apple vs. Google.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Anyone with interaction diagram where fy=276MPa and fc=21Mpa??? I need it for column design. 😖 thank you...😀
hi all how is a solar panel specified , when purchasing one ?
hi ppl, shall we have discussion on ways to increase durability of concrete,which can be useful in field?
the differential as most of us know is a device on the rear axle of a car. it varies the speed of the wheels on the same axle during turning...
Bangladeshi economist Muhammad Yunus runs one of the few socially responsible banks in the world: Grameen Bank, which provides small loans to poor people and entrepreneurs with no collateral to...