Linux Vs Windows

General things that comes to our mind when we speak about the windows Vs linux is,
Windows, awesome look😎, ready made softwares availability😁,support etc.,
Linux distros, freedom to work with code πŸ˜›, absolutely freeπŸ˜‰(most of them),etc.,

Which one do you like the most ? Windows or Linux ?Post the reasons.

Replies

• ms_cs
    ms_cs
    In my point of view, computer technology reached.. in this world because of the simplicity of the operating system windows. It played a major role in this. And I cannot get that much of good look at the other operating systems, So I think windows is the best.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    ms_cs
    ....Windows, awesome look😎.....
    I have to disagree with this. Have a look at my screenshot and tell me you can do this on Windows!!! This is on Ubuntu 8.10 using compiz.

Hardware used => Graphics card - Intel onboard (GMA 950), RAM - 512MB, Processor - Intel Centrino 1.86 Ghz

#-Link-Snipped-#

But people don't use Linux just because of its looks. People use it because it gives them freedom to use what they want/need.

Consider this, you have an old 386 that you're going to discard, because you can't run windows on it (at least no version released after c.1997)!! What do you do with it?? Give it away and get Rs. 100 for it?? Why not use a floppy based Linux distro (e.g. blueflops) and use it as a proxy server at home. This way you can filter out unwanted content from the internet, save your other (probably expensive) PC from viruses and trojans while at the same time doing your bit for the environment by recycling (kinda).

What's more, some of these distros are as small as 2.8MB with their system requirements running as low as 3MB of RAM (e.g. BasicLinux)..

Another example, sometime back, I needed a linux based modeling and analysis software. I stumbled upon, CAELinux. This distro has CAE applications preinstalled and is available on a Live CD. So, I just downloaded, it burnt it onto a CD and I was good to go, no need to install it and replace my current distro!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those who say Window's got better looks, think again. Or maybe have a look at Beryl project 😁

I had my jaw dropped when I saw what it can do!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    The_Big_K
    Those who say Window's got better looks, think again. Or maybe have a look at Beryl project 😁

I had my jaw dropped when I saw what it can do!
    Don't mean to nitpick, but the beryl and compiz projects have merged now. The result is compiz fusion. The screenshot above is from the same project!!

Whenever I show people what my ubuntu's capable of, they can't believe that something like that is even possible!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh thanks for the update. I'm going to move to Ubuntu full time starting my next dekstop. πŸ˜€
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Nice!! By the way, you can install ubuntu under windows now a days. This is available through the Wubi project (#-Link-Snipped-#). So there is no need for a dedicated partition for linux. There is just a slight loss of performance, plus there is no hibernation.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Sure I will try that...
  • skipper
    skipper
    Linux and (previous) small distros like it which are all Unix-clones, have been a very big deal in comms, routers and firewalls off-the-shelf that you configure either with a dumb terminal or ethernet link (to access the configuration page). About the size of a modem.

So there are plenty of computers running linux, they aren't PCs but they are dedicated servers.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    Linux needs to improve more for home users (non-computer techies) it is good for developers only right now, non-techie users always face problems in some functions.
    So till that happens, I choose Windows. πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Kashish: Try ubuntu! 😁
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    havnt got my hand on that, but will try that on my laptop, I am gonna buy in about a week or so. πŸ˜€
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    My votes to both since windows is flexible in one way and linux in another way..
    Windows- GUI, So easy for common man
    Linux - Now GUI in Linux there but not recommended for a common man...
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeah, same somewhat. I use both, makes life much easier πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, I'm wondering where the man who changed the world of computing forever is these days! I mean, come on! He can't be sitting home and watching stupid TV programs!...
I guess I said it all in the title itself. I guess CS kids {sorry, I use that word for the free lunch seekers} should find these topics useful for...
I am in 1st year in architecture and wanna apply for KVPY ...can u please urgently suggest some project ideas...or what kinda project one need to do...?πŸ˜• thank you...πŸ˜’πŸ˜”
any ideas using sensor application.just post here..
Not sure where else to put this so it will go here!πŸ˜€ First off I have a question that I need help with, What would be the effect of subjecting...