Linux installation from HardDisk (no cd/dvd required)!

While installing linux, you might have seen the option -- installation form hard disk(internal or external), have you ever thought how that is done.
I wonder some of you might be knowing it but its not so popular i guess, though its very useful, saves you from writing DVDs & CDs & your time & money too. I found this 2 years ago.
Of course u require a OS pre-installed in your system.

Click on the link & follow the instruction .
Install any Linux distro directly from hard disk without burning any DVD | Instant Fundas

There are two methods listed on the site, depending on your pre-installed system, whether it is windows or linux. If there are more than one linux OS installed in ur system, then look for the OS whose grub menu appears at the boot time & apply the methods as mentioned in the site in that OS.

After you did the configurations as given in the site, you have to boot the system & the select the title that you just made while editing /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.conf for linux. After some basic configurations, you have to select installation method - choose from Hard-disk & then select the drive Partition & give the path of *.iso image.
I tried it, for me the path was /distro/suse1100.iso . (installing over linux)
after that, its a normal installation.

Replies

• Guttu
    Guttu
    You can also install over network. If you have 2 PC's with on PC having iso files of linux distro then you can install linux on other PC using those files.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Ya, there are two methods of installing linux over network
    1. kickstart
    2. NFS
    installation can also be done through ftp & http server links, but you need high speed internet.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello guys we have a thread for computer tips and tricks... then why not for mobile also If anyone knows some tricks related to mobile then post it here ....so...
My Friend(MBA) and Me want to start a business which should be a regular requirement for consumers to put steady market. Here I got a problem is I have do...
In case, you forget your root password or you wanna access the system with root privileges without knowing root password, you can easily change it by following these steps >>>...
hello CEans Can anyone please help with a shell script for Tower of Hanoi ? 😕 as we cannot pass parameters to functions in Linux please tell a program in...
I am mother of two kids and i believe that in todays modern world kids should have better understanding of indian culture. I came across an educational kids website ...