Linux Based Firewall releaase - IPFire 2.13 Core 71

Michael Tremer, a developer from the ipfire.org team, officially announced the release of IPFire 2.13 Core 71, a new stable release of the popular Linux-based firewall distribution.

iPfire

Major features and Fixes:

- Wireless Client on RED
- DNS forwarding GUI
- Performance improvement of squidclamav
- snort 2.9.5

Other fixes can be found at - #-Link-Snipped-#
It is recommended for Linux users to upgrade to the latest ipFire

Few days back one of our Linux geek #-Link-Snipped-# has asked about firewall, I believe this would be a good opportunity for him to gets his hands on the iPfire and share his enthusiastic reviews.

Other Linux Geek what are your reviews for the same?

-CB

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It will help to attract windows users and make them linux once in their lifetime.
    Salute to Linux developers who had developed the best os out there.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    IPfire will surely help in upgrading Linux overall. In any case, Linux needs an integrated firewall. Though it is open source, it is not possible for amateur users to implant good command mode security. A pre built firewall will help a lot. I dont use Linux so I wont be able to test it, but i doubt if it would match the standards of windows.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    AR will give a detailed report really soon

But is not Linux Virus free Why is it that we need a firewall to block sites or to prevent any unwanted intervention
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Conqueror
    AR will give a detailed report really soon

But is not Linux Virus free Why is it that we need a firewall to block sites or to prevent any unwanted intervention

First of all, no operating system has ever been built which is virus free. Virus can be created to affect and destroy anything in any environment. Next thing, firewall is not only to block viruses. It has a major utility in network security. Linux is widely used on small scale servers and those servers need to apply a self developed command line security. With the introduction of a successful firewall, this will help a lot. Also it will give necessary protection to home users.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nayan Goenka
    In any case, Linux needs an integrated firewall.
    UFW : Well, that comes integrated.(For Ubuntu)
    SELinux : a System-call firewall. That is been added in Kernel since 2.6

Nayan Goenka
    I dont use Linux so I wont be able to test it, but i doubt if it would match the standards of windows.
    😁

Nayan Goenka
    First of all, no operating system has ever been built which is virus free. Virus can be created to affect and destroy anything in any environment.
    Linux is not virus-free, but it's rarely affected by any malware or virus.Because there are more than 500 distros with different flavours, debian based distros, fedora based distros, arch based distros, etc.
    - Arch based malware won't be able to affect debian based or fedora based OS.
    - Also, unlike windows, we have all directory open (ofc, we're opensource), so a user can easily detect out unknown file & remove it.
    - Most of servers are custom Linux, they simply don't install stock Linux & run it.So, only thing they need to worry is Linux Kernel bugs, which are surely fixed before it's released.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you are an engineer who's convinced that MBA is 'the way' to get promotions, better career, better paypack & better marriage prospects; and are already preparing for CAT 2014...
Its not even a fortnight when Canonical announced Ubuntu Edge in which Ubuntu Touch will be used as a dual boot. A developer thought that the lock screen concept used...
Can we have the details of the facebook campus recruitment process posted here? In the last 2 months, several candidates have written to me (using the contact us page) asking...
Every smartphone and even some feature phones support positioning, while the ‘dumb’ phones rely on Wi-Fi or network triangulation the smart ones use satellite supported services like GPS or GLONASS....
As all auto lovers around the world would be eagerly waiting to make a global debut I want to know the feelings of CEans on this Auto show. This Frankfurt...