Limiting the effects of a pivot point? Some help with an homemade arm brace (with pics!)

After a wrist injury I had to stop lifting weights. This was annoying so I decided to make an arm brace that would transfer the weight of a dumbbell through my forearm rather than through my hand and wrist (with the help from my local metal works). I've now got the brace and its perfect, aside from one flaw. One point on the brace acts as a pivot point concentrating the pressure in one area of my forearm. This makes lifting dumbbells very painful!

I've uploaded pictures detailing the issue with the help of some annotations and very sophisticated arrows (lol).

I was wondering if any of you guys would be able to throw a couple tips my way that might help me get past this point? Thanks a lot for any help, its very appreciated. I'll be online all of this evening to reply and work through any suggestions you have.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The part of the brace in contact with the fore arm is flat. It is too riigid to flex Your analysis that the load is acting at below the wrist is right. If you can contour the brace bottom to conform to your forearm shape, there will be a more uniform distribution of load. As a first step can you cut a strip of Dow Corning or other Silicone rubber foam and carve one surface to conform to the forearm shape and stick it below the brace? This would make for a larger area contact and significantly reduce the problem.
  • Rick Deckard
    Rick Deckard
    Brilliant suggestion, thanks A.V. Ramani. I especially appreciate passing on details regarding the materials. I will try and see how to get a hold of these. Thanks!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Facebook seems to have decided what they really want to do with their 19 billion dollar baby - WhatsApp. From what we already knew but did not really want to...
Hey this is Utkarsh Bhat from MSRIT. I am in my first year, pursuing my B.Tech in CSE from MSRIT,Bangalore,Karnataka,India. I like reading books apart from the academics and also...
Aasaanjobs is a company providing recruitment facilities for entry level and mid-level jobs in the country. Founded in 2013, Aasaanjobs aims to create a platform where hiring should be as...
Suggest me some ideas experts on what shall i start up my engineering write up. Mechanical interests me allot though not my discipline. I m in my 2nd semester. ...wanna...
Whether there's truth or not in telecom towers being the source of radiation that is said to cause harm to the health of millions of citizens is a reason for...