Light Speed What next?

Well If you have been CE cover page for a few days you would have seen so many innovations working at light speed

The Japan-EU Fiber optic line
Optical CD
Fiber connectivity

and many more

What do you guys think will be next in this Line?

Will relative motion take over the speed of light ? or any crazy idea to improve the speed of computing beyond that of light speed

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The next would be all of the 'wired' things being ported to wireless technologies.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The next would be all of the 'wired' things being ported to wireless technologies.
    One thing I am sure wireless power transfered can be increased rapidly But If we want to increase speed of wireless networks it will be like ages But still a really nice idea to break our heads

Any final year students working on wireless power transfer can consider this as a project

PS: Speed wise is it possible to break relativity
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Light speed? Well, wish there was light speed bluetooth and ofcourse light speed camera shots. Would like to explore more on the possibility of making a camera-cum-binocular as effective as the human eye; none of the cameras seems to represent an exact similar shot as would be seen with the naked eye in certain situations.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In terms of communications, this will be a huge challenge for sure. If you want fiber optic speed in open air, you need a lot of power just to overcome dispersion and fading.

Unless we all want to end up like the Incredible Hulk, some things are better left using wires 😁
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well high power transmitted in unguided air media can cause radiation illness to people So I don't think High speed wireless tech is that much feasible But you never know your scientist

But protecting ourself from radiation is also an area which we need to concentrate
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Conqueror
    Will relative motion take over the speed of light ? or any crazy idea to improve the speed of computing beyond that of light speed
    Universe is limitless and so are possibilities, one way to achieve speed faster than light is to use wormholes, but I guess it will take a century more to develop that kind of technology😁

ash
    In terms of communications, this will be a huge challenge for sure. If you want fiber optic speed in open air, you need a lot of power just to overcome dispersion and fading.

Unless we all want to end up like the Incredible Hulk, some things are better left using wires 😁
    The rate at which the use of wireless media is increasing, I guess we would be living in metallic eggs in the future (to protect from radiation) and would be going out in metallic suits 😉.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    rahul69
    Universe is limitless and so are possibilities, one way to achieve speed faster than light is to use wormholes, but I guess it will take a century more to develop that kind of technology😁
    With wormhole you cannot achieve speed greater than light speed.Using wormhole you can travel from one long distance by bending space-time plane (gah! sounds so unrealistic!)
    [​IMG]
    In short, Wormhole is time travel & it is not related to speed of light.

BTW, escape velocity of Black-hole > Speed of light 😀
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Abhishek Rawal
    BTW, escape velocity of Black-hole > Speed of light 😀
    Yes u are correct! But consider the following proposition:
    If I pass a ray of light through the wormhole, it will reach the other end faster than the light that will travel from the space lying outside the wormhole, hence speed greater than light is achieved.
    Also consider this simple equation:
    Speed = Distant/ Time
    By controlling time, we can control speed, so if we can do time travel, we can automatically travel faster than speed of light.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    rahul69
    Yes u are correct! But consider the following proposition:
    If I pass a ray of light through the wormhole, it will reach the other end faster than the light that will travel from the space lying outside the wormhole, hence speed greater than light is achieved.
    No it doesn't mean speed > light . It means distance covered is more in less time (which means more speed 😛 ) using worm-hole.
    The newtonian mechanics doesn't really implies on atomic level (where quantum mechanics is applied)
    Edit : IDK how we can say that wormhole has > speed than speed of light .. confusing topic xD
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    Conqueror
    What do you guys think will be next in this Line?
    How about optical transistors?

Even though current flows at close to the speed of light in a conductor, signals travel through semiconductor logic much slower. So if you could work with light logic, you could have much, much faster and smaller devices that use much, much less power.

Some years ago I read that someone had figured out how to do an optical logic gate. That is, the gate would have two optical fibers coming in and some logic function (I think it was either XOR or NOR) coming out. But I haven't heard anything about it since. If you could get that working well enough to implement an entire microprocessor, you'd have another proverbial game changer.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    MIT Researchers Build All-Optical Transistors 😁

There have been significant usage of optical technology in the networking world (such as Optical IP Switching). Vendors are willing to spend $$$ in R&D to market the fastest routers and switches, which will certainly help is bring us closer to having the optical processor.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I used to (& still) watching very closely to development of the Ubuntu touch mail-listing & update since past few months & I gotta say that, there is just too...
Well Degree Stopping Paper It is really a torment for every engineer in the IT, CSE and ECE firm Well let's see some easy tips and methods to tackle this...
Well most of the time it is cause of the basics we fail a lot big time https://www.crazyengineers.com/resources/pn-diodes.620/ This presentation is a best and quick time method to brush up...
Yes the New generation Jeep Grand Cherokee is on edge to make a global impact in the forthcoming NewYork auto show. SRT-Street racing technology Can You imagine the power of...
Hi everyone. Does Any one know have any idea about pgdst course from cdac kharghar? Is it good and how are the placements? Ps: i didnot know in which subforum...