life of marine eng.

hi guys
i am doing B.s.marine engineering from tolani maritime institute and i want to know the life of the ship engineers are this kind of job are very painful and frustrated.
i discuss to some people and they say your marriage life can't be successful
plz reply who are in same kind of job.๐Ÿ˜•

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Really speaking I envy marine engineers,whne they are in ship they get good compensation,and if they are in ship 6months they get a 6 months off with full salary,they also get a chance to travle to far off places and get benefits of duties,they got a adventorous life and can spend more time with family compare to others!!!!
  • gohm
    gohm
    I can make having relationships difficult, however many merchant marine employees have very successful relationships, it all depends on you. Same goes for the military, truckers, oil field workers, commercial fishing and many other occupations that require one to be away from home for periods.
  • jack Verma
    jack Verma
    thanks buddies for rply๐Ÿ˜›
  • jack Verma
    jack Verma
    what about marine eng marriage life.pls rply soon๐Ÿ˜
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Ask a marine engineer,i wonder he has a life out of marriage too
  • arunhero99
    arunhero99
    I think marine engineers are lucky guys having multiple relations, on shore and off shore. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope you don't get stuck in a submarine or an offshore rig. then you are screwed.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    rebeljack
    what about marine eng marriage life.pls rply soon๐Ÿ˜
    I think you have already got your answer. Read Gohm's answer above.

P.S. Refrain from using SMS text.
  • jack Verma
    jack Verma
    thanks for rply
    if any marine eng is online pls tell me if i sail for 6 months with salary then the holly day of 4 months is without any pay????????????๐Ÿ˜• pls rply.
  • jack Verma
    jack Verma
    Is marine engineering is better then the other branches of eng & it provides guaranteed jobs?
    Reply Soon.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There is no comparison/competition among engineering disciplines.
  • jack Verma
    jack Verma
    ok ok no competition no comparison but at least tell me marine engineering gives a good job opportunity or not??
  • arin259
    arin259
    Im a marine engineer nd dude I say marine rocks..only nd only if u dnt fall n luv..nd if u succeed n nt getng n2 a relatn den ul b d king of d world...dats d key 2 success..
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    arin259
    Im a marine engineer nd dude I say marine rocks..only nd only if u dnt fall n luv..nd if u succeed n nt getng n2 a relatn den ul b d king of d world...dats d key 2 success..
    Well, we have 4 key to success in the forum. Two of them are:
    1) Properly formatted posts
    2) Complete words. No SMS text.
  • jack Verma
    jack Verma
    hey arin259 ,thanks budy for rply but can you please tell me if i sail for 6 months with salary then what bout the other 6 months, is it without any pay???๐Ÿ˜• rply soon
  • inform
    inform
    rebeljack
    ok ok no competition no comparison but at least tell me marine engineering gives a good job opportunity or not??
    one can't say anything about that in day-today scenario.
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    Hope Marine Engineering is Good One..
    You will have adventurous life both in land and see. You have Trilling times all in your life which makes life interesting buddy....
  • algasanchorage
    algasanchorage
    Life onboard depends on people you meet. Meet rubbish people and your life would be worst than in hell for your whole duration onboard.

Meet nice people and you would really be enjoying the work onboard. And thats extremely true.

2 kinds of crew inside the engine room. Engineers and Engine ratings.

Ratings include:
    Engine Cadets,Greasers,Welders etc

Engineers include:
    Chief,2nd,3rd,4th,5th and Electrical Engineers

Your life onboard would revolve around work,eat,sleep,tv,exercises(depends on availability) and occasional shore leave. Do not expect shoreleave everytime the ship reaches a port. It depends on your C/E.

Ranks below 2nd Engineers does whatever is being ordered by him because he is incharge of engine room with Chief Engineer overlooking everything.

C/E duties
    overseeing everything. getting instructions and information from captain

2/E
    Incharge of engine crew. In charge of machineries like Main Engine, Referigeration systems, Fuel treatment systems etc.

3/E
    Incharge of boilers,generators

4/E
    Incharge of air compressors, bilge level, pumps. Occasionally electrical systems if electrical engineer is not available onboard

5/E
    Learning how to be an engineer

Welder
    As suggested. Welding

Greasers
    Assisting Engineers on watch. Cleaning etc. Basically they are formally cadets who never took engineers license.

Cadets
    Do whatever thrown at you. Ranging from cleaning jobs to assisting in repairs.

If you are joining as cadet, I would suggest to be humble onboard. Learning from textbooks and doing something in actual is totally different. If u need more advices regarding what kind of stuff to bring onboard as a cadet, feel free to send me a message.
  • BPengcad
    BPengcad
    I'm just starting out as a marine engineer, i work for BP and we do between 2 and a half and 3 months on the ship, theoretically!, and then around 2 months off. For the senior engineers, eg. 2nd and Chief, they work on a back to back basis. Meaning, for example, two Chief Engineers work back to back, one does three months while the other is at home for three, then switch. You get the same pay packet each month regardless of being at sea or at home.

Cheers, Chris
  • jayaganegh
    jayaganegh
    hi guy
    i am also doing B.S marine engg from BITS OFF CAMPUS in madurai (T.N) life in ship
    is somewhat difficult in ship while joining as deck cadet and we can also enjoy and
    get more knowledge which deponds on senior engineers .you can also marriage
    but you should not go for sail and try to achieve your goal before marriage .
    if you go for sailing after marriage it will be a discomfort for yours, ur wife and
    it will create a problem in your family. u can discuss with ur other marine friends
    and take ur oun dacision.thank u have a good future. contact:jayaganesh.mariner@gmail.com
  • jayaganegh
    jayaganegh
    off shore salary will deponds on the company(i.e.,)some will give salary and some company will not give salary
  • jayaganegh
    jayaganegh
    it is excellent job u can earn more money.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello. i'm working on a project of eye detection with matlab and i need to mark a circle on live time video. how can i draw a circle or point...
Jumbles on newspapers is something very old and classic. I thought may be we can have our own jumble, but in different style. example: A L P T N now...
hi this is amirtha.. i m a mew member can anyone suggest new mini project in electrical engg.......๐Ÿ˜’
A three blade fan is being fixed to a electric motor held in the horizontal plane.The motor is being rotated with some angular velocity.The fan is being fixed in such...
That's according to Jacques Sprenger at The Digerati Life, who posts a treatise on haggling garnered from years of getting lower prices, and watching others fail at it. You may...