LG Smart Video On Optimus G Pro Tracks Eyes For Video Playback

LG has introduced a 'Smart Video' feature soon to be integrated with their latest Optimus G Pro phone. The feature detect's users eye movements during video playback and if you stare aware from the screen, it auto-pauses the video clip playback. When you look back at the screen, the video will auto resume exactly at the point where you left-off. With the Smart Video feature, LG seems to be looking at eliminating the traditional play and pause buttons on media players.

The news comes on the verge of unveiling of the Samsung Galaxy S IV phone, which has the most hyped eye-scrolling feature. The eye scrolling determines at which area of the phone you are focusing on and then auto-scrolls the page so that you don't have to use the touch-screen.

slide
Image Credit: IstockPhoto, tlnors

LG didn't comment on the overall working and technology behind the feature. The executives only said that the LG Optimus G Pro front camera is capable of detecting your retina movements. It's not an entirely new technology. Samsung already uses a similar 'smart stay' feature in their Galaxy series phones that auto-determines the level of brightness of the display.

LG has confirmed that the smart video feature will make it to other premium LG phones in the coming weeks but has not commented on the global availability.

Our Opinion:

Pausing the video when you are not looking at it doesn't seem to be a great idea. There are times you just want to skip parts of the clips or want the video to continue even when you are looking away from the screen.

Imagine the situation when you and your friend are watching a video clip. You look away from the screen and the video pauses even when your friends wants it to continue playing.

Plus, keeping the camera on all the time isn't going to be easy on the battery and most of the Androids are still known to be battery eaters. Here's an ongoing interesting discussion about why Android will never have a great battery life like iOS devices: Why Performance Of Android Phones Is Slow ?

What is your opinion on the smart video feature? Do you think it's useful and drool-worthy?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those who're curious may check out our discussion on Samsung Galaxy S IV Smart Stay & Eye Scrolling Feature: Eye Scrolling In Samsung Galaxy S IV
  • lal
    lal
    Well, there should probably be a choice whether to use retina tracking or not. If it was me, defenitely shall not use this feature in 95% of present situations ๐Ÿ˜ The eye scrolling feature seems to be of more practical use.
  • Saba Jamil
    Saba Jamil
    some one please tell me how we can implement this video pausing???in which langauge a project can be done???what is the scope??i need some detail....help me out this plz...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey friends i am pursuing BE from mechanical..right now i am in 3rd year.. i want to know what should i do for my better future in mechanical.. i have...
My name is lovedeep sandhu I am doing my btech in mechanical trade I am from ferozepur My aim is to become good engineer I like this site very much...
If we say that there is only two energy band gap ie valence band and conductence and there is no othere band exist for which but in defintion of fermi...
So guys ive done my certification in Java(SCJP/OCJP) and i am thinking of joining Android or iOS development classes,Which one would you guys suggest will stand good in the future...
Blackberry Z10 was sold out in flat two days in India after its official launch and ever since then, BB users were eagerly waiting for the arrival of WhatsApp messenger....