Lessons for a startups: More features doesn't mean more market share!

I've been following the race to the top among various mobile messaging apps like WhatsApp, SnapChat, Viber and others. WhatsApp, which continues to have the most basic set of features is in the leading position; on the other hand the rivals have been introducing more features but haven't been able to get the lead they're aspiring for.

Do we have a lesson for all the startups here? Do more features mean you get more market share? What's your opinion?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    Can't say. I feel the Brand name plays a very great role, when it comes to getting a market share. that is what i read in a "brand management" book. And in front of Brand, features don't matter much.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    "keep things simple" is the key I believe, take any successful start up , Facebook, simple and sober interface, no flashy designs, just login and you will see, what you really want to see and i.e comments on your status

I have not used others but weChat, I liked the features of this app, but weChat requires many clicks in order to send message, but with whats app, it just requires one click nothing else; interface that even a normal user, who is using smart phone for first time can understand it.

Same goes with my clients, if a certain feature they request, requires more than 2 clicks, they will just say "Drop it, I don't like it".

Moral of story: Focus on Your key idea for which you are developing a certain product
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    As as you say ,
    some messaging apps like Hike have introduced better features than Whatsapp have been growing well and the introduction of free recharges and offline free messages had made many of my friends to switch from whatsapp and wechat to "HIke" but my view is that the reason for whatsapp success is that it came first and enjoys benefit of it as many of them don't want to do install all things and confuse themselves.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Not always the simple is the best but in the mentioned comparison, I would say its the simplicity of whatsapp which made me stick to it despite its fancy competitors.

Whatsapp is kinda pioneer to this business and before anyone else could enter, it had already made a good share in market. Its like chicken and egg problem for others. But yeah, if whatsapp will just stop improving it won't take much for it to go down. We've seen what happened to Nokia. The word which was synonym of a cell phone has became in-existent in pretty much overnight.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Do we have a lesson for all the startups here? Do more features mean you get more market share? What's your opinion?
    Startups should deliver the basic value for money product that is rugged, user friendly and tough.
    That is what a CEan startup up to now with his telemedicine product. With a shoe string operation, he is after delivering a high grade product with an advanced on board expert system without any unwanted 'fair and lovely' features. A no nonsense product.
    I wish him all success.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung GamePad price in India is Rs. 4,999. The mobile gaming aficionados spread across the nation will be able to lay their hands on the gamepad by the end of...
Hi I got 1353 rank in Section A + B. I am only interested Banglore CDAC. what are my chance to get in CDAC Bangalore {Knowledge parK and CDAC electronics...
India Kawasaki Motors (IKM) has brought two of its leading and renowned high-end motorcycles in India with Kawasaki Z1000 and Kawasaki Ninja 1000. In a move to expand its presence...
The biggest tunnel borer was going about is routine civil job of boring a huge tunnel under Seattle, when it was literally brought to a grinding halt by an Unidentified...
The question is simple. What species of animal/bird/mammal/anything besides homo sapiens would you like to be if you were given a chance? Just curious to know what others think. I'll...