1. Engineers
    “We are creating a common platform for every engineer in the world"
    Are you a part of it yet?

Start Now - It's FREE
    Dismiss Notice

"Last Working Day" Awesome Mail!

Discussion in 'The Café - General Discussions On Everything' started by Kaustubh Katdare, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Kaustubh Katdare

Administrator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    If you're looking for an amazing Last Working Day email to send to your colleagues, bosses & managers, here's an email that you'll find amazing. The email has been pulled off from Internet and I'm not aware of the correct source. I found that a lot of people actually need this mail; but be aware that if you send this email too early you might have trouble getting your experience certificate and other documents if any. This email is intended for humour purpose only. Use it at your own risk.

Source: Email: -

Dear Co-Workers,

As many of you probably know, today is my last day. But before I leave, I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know what a great and distinct pleasure it has been to type “Today is my last day.”For nearly as long as I’ve worked here, I’ve hoped that I might one day leave this company. And now that this dream has become a reality, please know that I could not have reached this goal without your unending lack of support. Words cannot express my gratitude for the words of gratitude you did not express.

I would especially like to thank all of my managers: in an age where miscommunication is all too common, you consistently impressed and inspired me with the sheer magnitude of your misinformation. It takes a strong man to admit his mistake - it takes a stronger man to attribute his mistake to me.

Over the past three years, you have taught me more than I could ever ask for and, in most cases, ever did ask for. I have been fortunate enough to work with some absolutely interchangeable supervisors on a wide variety of seemingly identical projects - an invaluable lesson in overcoming daily tedium in overcoming daily tedium in overcoming daily tedium.

Your demands were high and your patience short, but I take great solace knowing that my work was, as stated on my annual review, “mostly satisfactory.” That is the type of praise that sends a man home happy after even a 10 hour day, smiling his way through half a bottle of mostly satisfactory scotch.

And to most of my peers: even though we barely acknowledged each other within these office walls, I hope that in the future, should we pass on the street, you will regard me the same way as I regard you: sans eye contact.

So, in parting, if I could pass on any word of advice to the individual who will soon be filling my position, it would be to cherish this experience like a sponge and soak it up like a good woman, because a job opportunity like this comes along only once in a lifetime.
    Meaning: if I had to work here again in this lifetime, I would sooner kill myself.

Very truly yours,
    <anonymous>

Update:
    It'd be awesome to have your own last working day mail pasted in this thread. Please do remove all personal references :)

• Like Like x 2
    #1 Kaustubh Katdare, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. Voltaire

Voltaire Apprentice

Engineering Discipline:
    Chemical
    Hehehe. I get you man
    Peace

3. Ankita Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    ...And I thought all that people write is "thanking colleagues and managers for guiding and helping me through my journey so far." o_O

4. Kaustubh Katdare

Administrator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Since a lot of engineers come to CE looking for this email format; I thought of writing a more formal (and non-funny) email template which you can actually use.

--------x--------x--------x-------
    Please make sure that you add all the recipients in the BCC list.

Dear Friends,

Sometimes, life puts you in situations where you've to let go of things dearer to you in pursuit of something better. Few days ago, I was in a similar situation and I had to make a hard decision - to take a leave from all of you and take up new challenges and start a new phase in my career. Today is my last working day at <company name> and I'm totally thrilled to write this email; often called the 'last working day email'; probably one of the most difficult mails I ever wrote during my tenure here.

I want to thank my fellow team members <first names> from the bottom of my heart and especially to <team lead, project manager name> for his/her constant support and guidance throughout. I will miss you all!

I promise that our friendships will remain forever. I'll always be available on [your facebook, linkedin, email, twitter, phone etc.]. If you ever need me, I'm always available.

Thank you for being a part of my journey here at <company name>

Regards
    <Your Name>
    --------x--------x--------x-------

5. Ankita Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    One of my friends who recently left an IT company wrote -
    "I hope we have a chance to meet again in future at the crossroads of life."
    She said she copied it from somewhere.

PS: Does anyone really want to meet their tech-leads or managers again? No hard feelings, but still? :cautious:

6. Harsh Ma

Harsh Ma Newbie

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    Not @all i would never be interested in meeting any one again :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kaustubh Katdare

Administrator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    It's a fact that most of the last working day emails sent in offices are copied from the Internet. People mostly resign from their current jobs because of their managers and not always for more money. At least, that's what my observation is. Money of course is an important criteria; but the decision to quit is mostly taken when people can't cope up with their managers.

Plus, it's rare that people develop special bonds with their co-workers. Unfortunately, the real enemies in the corporate hierarchy are your co-workers; because you're fighting directly with them for promotions and better salary packages. You can't expect to gel with them if you're directly competing with them.

It's a fact that most of the lines of compassion and bonding are lies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ankita Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    I regret the day my manager and senior-manager added me on Facebook.
    Why would I want to do that? :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Harsh Ma

Harsh Ma Newbie

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    Sorry to pitch in b/w conversations :)

Well, the 1st ever thing to do in any profession is never add collages in ur FB / Linked in specially. :) most imp one. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SarathKumar Chandrasekaran

Engineering Discipline:
    Automobile
    there will be a gem between pebbles and i can bear the pebble hitting to find a good gem(true friend).
    I support social network integration.You CEans¿

11. Kaustubh Katdare

Administrator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Since this last working day mail is so popular, someone asked for a more 'professional' way to write it. Here's something you can simply copy and paste.

Dear all,

The time has come for me to say goodbye to you. I never thought I'd ever write this email; but times change. Ever since I joined this company X years ago, you all become a part of my family. It's been a fantastic journey and a great learning experience for me. I enjoyed every moment and I appreciate having the opportunity to work with you.

I thank all my managers and my colleagues for their constant support throughout my tenure at <company name>. You stood by me when the times were difficult and we enjoyed all the happy moments together. I will always cherish these moments.

I will miss all of you as a begin a new phase and a new challenge in my career. My best wishes will always be with you.

I will be reachable on <facebook>, <linkedIn>, <personal email>, <phone number>. I hope we stay in touch.

Thanks and Regards,
    <First Name> <Last Name>

• Like Like x 1
  12. Anoop Kumar

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    I don't write much of official language.
    Instead I write the some memorable moment we encounter during out office tenure.
    Every team has some sort of moment . I attach the picture of team and add keywords like
    "late night working, outing at xyz place, busted someone".
    I think this makes other team members to recall the memory of past for few min.
    Yes, finally I add my personal email/contact. I also cc my personnel email. It's easier for others to respond the mail later.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Kaustubh Katdare

Administrator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Frankly speaking, I never understood the real purpose of writing the last working day email. It even doesn't make sense that people try to make it a bit 'emotional'. No one stays in contact after you've left the company and no one cares either. It's just an illusion that we create in our mind that we're loved and we'll be missed in the company.

Not many people realise that the true competitors in your company are your colleagues and friends. Since the organisations follow pyramid structure, the number of 'seats' or 'roles' to occupy go on reducing; while you all keep fighting for them. If two friends are working in a project at the same designation; then they are actually the two top competitors for the next promotion.

...and you can't even blame your bosses; because they are the victim of the system too. Ultimately it's the 'bell shaped curve' that will determine every employee's destiny. Whether you work your heart out or just keep pleasing your boss - no one really knows what happens during 'normalisation'.

Maybe the social networking websites have made it easier to stay in touch; but even with the FB groups, I don't think people continue to feel the connect; or shall I say, the pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Saandeep Sreerambatla

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Absolutely agree. The company or team or anyone doesnt care after you leave the company.
    No one is indispensable. As long as you think you are special or system doesnt run without you , then you are creating a imaginary world.

I have been working in this current organization over 6 years now, i have seen many people leaving and joining. The ones with the attitude as iam god here, never ever got good rating or is in good books.

Always performance matters and then leave. After you leave its done!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ankita Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    Although I agree with what's written above, I think when a fresher first enters the industry it is with high hopes of making friends. (Somehow, somewhere, someone tells them that they have to 'enjoy the ride'). Of course, over the course one realises that the colleagues stay colleagues, and can't really be friends, but those who feel emotionally connected with even one or two of their entire project team, they feel they need to express their feelings in one last letter. And hence the concept of 'last working day mail'.

I was at a 15-day Himalayan camp in 2008 where we were made to write a small letter on the last day. Now although, none of the team mates knew each other from before the camp, still every one wrote something interesting about their team mates. I guess it's human nature to feel that need to write (convey or express) something before leaving a group.

This image sums up what I am trying to say here -

madethemfeel2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ankita Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    So finally it is all about making a lasting "Last Impression" at your existing job or workplace.

To all of you who've met and known me at this office,
    Today is my last day at work and from Monday (or some specific date) I'll start working at another organisation (more often this line can be completed as: running my own startup). Thank you all for the good times I spent here with you. It’s been great interacting and knowing each one of you.

This can be quickly followed by an email address or contact number (depending on whether you want to leave some way of contacting you for your ex-colleagues, considering that they could do that on FB/Twitter anyway).

Thanking you,
    XYZ

I also feel that people give a lot of unwanted importance to the last day email. Instead of just writing words, you can stick around the cafe, buy everyone coffee, chit-chat and spend some quality time with whatever small group of friends you made there.

PS: On a funny note, check out what Microsoft Founder - Bill Gates spent his last day of work. This video has been uploaded by Engadget and I remembered seeing it around 2-3 years back for the first time. Worth you time, check it out:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Saandeep Sreerambatla

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Honestly speaking when i was leaving my first company, I was very busy with some presentation till noon, then later i was busy collecting some no - due certificates.

I never became emotional not i got an idea to send my last day email.
    It was my manager who asked me to do it, and i did it saying guys today is my last day all the best etc. i didnt even put my email in it.

again it was my manager who asked me to resend and i did.!
    Last day email , unless you are some MD , or CEO etc i think it really doesnt matter.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ankita Katdare

Engineering Discipline:
    Computer Science
    @Saandeep Sreerambatla That's true. Even I had to spend some 5-6 hours running from the HR office to my desk and to the manager's desk for the formalities on the last day. It was tiring. They needed signatures on so many documents. Then I recalled that they had made us sign papers for 3 whole days when we had joined. So, fair enough.

Now I guess that's a little disheartening for everyone who is Googling and landing here. All those who feel the need to write a last working day mail, not only want to make a lasting *last impression*, but also have the tendency to share their views with everyone no matter what the situation.

I think it is best if you don't make it sentimental. In fact, keep it short and funny. Even if you write something in two lines, that's enough as long as you share what's in your heart.

It's best if people address this mail only to those they have been interacting with the most. Exclude the people who don't know you all that well, because they are going to delete it without reading anyway.

(I have a feeling that those who are leaving their *first* company are likely to send the last working day email the most)

So, you email could have something like:

19. Kaustubh Katdare

Administrator

Engineering Discipline:
    Electrical
    Just want to know if anyone's actually used the text in first post of this thread as their last working day email :) . If yes, what were the reactions from your colleagues and managers? Care to share with us?

PS: Just a thought crossed my mind. Why not write this type of 'simple' last working day mail? -

Subject: My Very Emotional Last Working Day Email
    Body: I'm off, folks. Feels incredibly awesome to escape from one cubicle jungle only to land in other. Meh!

#19 Kaustubh Katdare, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  20. Jeremiah Logan

Engineering Discipline:
    IT
    I just came upon this today, and am bookmarking the first post as a reference for my last day email, which I plan to deliver within the next three weeks. While humorous, many of the highlights of your first post speak directly to why I am leaving. I know many people caution a transitioning employee from "burning bridges" or coming off as disgruntled, but I also believe that sometimes there are times you simply need to cut through all the PC bs and state the things everyone is afraid to speak of.

• Like Like x 2