Laptop/mobile finder

Like remote sensors to open a car/ detect a car theft, do we have any thing like a mobile finder( same on grounds of key finder)??? or infact laptop finder?

you press 'find' button and the mobile/laptop beeps out from some corner?? it would even be better if the beep's location is detected and sent back to the remote controller 😁. WOW! I would never have to ask my friends to call my mobile to find it.!!

Same with laptop! this would infact help people find there lost property.

any ideas how this can be put practically?

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Maybe with GPS..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    if mobile . even location from care of address base station would be sufficient I think, for Lappy yup, may be GPS.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You can do it with existing GPS + transmitter modules, but they are still expensive and bulky. If one was made to fit in the PC Card slot, that'll make things more convenient.. but still costly.

I think just for the purpose of finding a laptop nearby, a simple radio module would suffice. If you get closer to it, it can beep or flash faster. Directionality can be implemented if needed.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    yeah, ash is correct..GPS will be a expensive and bulky..something on the lines of an RFID which beeps would do the trick..tracking could be initiated by a hand held device
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I thought " what if a laptop is stolen" hence GPS was bought into picture for location purposes or we have any other methods easier ones to find a laptop?
    Obviously Ip detection wont do, will MAC tracking do?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    MAC addresses cannot be accessed outside a LAN, and you'll need to trick the thief to either broadcast it voluntarily or visit a website containing an Applet that can read it. If the thief was clever, he/she would reformat the laptop first. That eliminates the chances of any software based tracker installed on it. If the thief is paranoid, they'll just spoof the MAC addresses of the installed network devices.

You can get GPS chips that are tiny, but they are a lot more expensive than their already expensive bulky compatriots. So far, a hardware based tracker is the more likely solution for expensive stolen stuff.

Probably the only thing one can do at the moment is record down the serial number of the laptop now, and report it once it gets stolen so that the thief will have a harder time selling it.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ash
    MAC addresses cannot be accessed outside a LAN, and you'll need to trick the thief to either broadcast it voluntarily or visit a website containing an Applet that can read it. If the thief was clever, he/she would reformat the laptop first. That eliminates the chances of any software based tracker installed on it. If the thief is paranoid, they'll just spoof the MAC addresses of the installed network devices.
    understood.

Probably the only thing one can do at the moment is record down the serial number of the laptop now, and report it once it gets stolen so that the thief will have a harder time selling it.
    Ah! couple of friends did have a burglary at their places, as you said reported the sequence number. It did not work. They have lost their laptops for good.
    😔

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hii everyone! well i am an IT professional . searching for new topics for doing industry oriented mini projects . presently persuing my btech 2 year. can any one say...
hi friends may i know how the conveyors like belt works..i ike to do the projct about belt or roll,frnds suggest me which is best
hi....everyone... in this post we can protect our xp with password....unwanted user can not use our account easily ....so lets...try & enjoy! Procedure:--- 1. start - Run - type "syskey"...
Hello all, I am a tertiary student in Fiji (South Pacific), the area i live in unfortunately is prone to water cuts. however it has challenged me to try and...
can an automobile work without a cooling system?